Roosting issue

Ragladysews

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
NW Georgia
I have 6 hens, 1 rooster. (2 sussex, 2 black sexlinks, 2 buff Brahmas, 1 buff Brahma rooster). Originally the rooster and older Buff hen would roost outside at night. It was a little warm, they were safe so I let them. A couple of weeks ago it was getting down to freezing so I went out right at dark and ran everyone inside for the night, then let them out in the am. How they fussed and pooped all over everything. My little buff brahma roosts in one of the nesting boxes( I have 3) and poops all over everything. I have golf balls in each nest. And they all lay in the same box) Anyway, now my rooster still roosts outside, and all the other hens but the brahmas roost outside. The brahmas go in. Actually today I had to run my older brahma out of the coop so I could clean in it. I am so confused as to what to do. They have a ladder roost abt 5 ft high, 3 ft wide, plus a 2/4 that runs the length of the coop, 8 ft long. the ladder leans against the high roost so they can get up on it. Should I worry?

I'm no expert, but I'd say if their run is safe and no there's nothing *wrong* with the coop or roosts that makes them want to avoid it, then let them roost when they want. It would be a very silly animal who would willingly freeze to death given the choice.

Back
Top Bottom