roosting on top of nest boxes

DickMidnight

Crowing
Oct 23, 2021
i integrated 3 new hens to the flock about a month ago. they’re getting along fine, and learning their place in the pecking order.

the only real issue, if it’s an issue at all, is that they’re roosting on top of the nesting boxes at night.

the boxes have a slanted plywood roof on them, but there’s a small (~2”) flat spot where the boxes meet the wall.

some nights i go out and move them to the roost, but i’m not sure if they stay
there all night.

first question is how do i get them on to the roost instead of the nest boxes at night?

second question is if i can’t, are there any issues with them roosting on the boxes?

Technically there's not an issue with them roosting on top of the nests other than the possibility of soiling the nests.

Is there any way to extend the slant (do you know the angle?) to cover that 2" portion they're sitting on? Or to attach some netting to block off that area so they can't sit up there. If their preferred roosting spot is blocked, that will force them to find (or stay put) on the new one.

Technically there's not an issue with them roosting on top of the nests other than the possibility of soiling the nests.

Is there any way to extend the slant (do you know the angle?) to cover that 2" portion they're sitting on? Or to attach some netting to block off that area so they can't sit up there. If their preferred roosting spot is blocked, that will force them to find (or stay put) on the new one.
there’s no risk of them pooping in the nests, they’re completely covered.

i thought i had pictures of the boxes with the roof i made but i can’t find them. i’ll get some tomorrow.

makes sense that i’ll have to figure out a way to block the little ledge that they’re roosting on.

there’s no risk of them pooping in the nests, they’re completely covered.
I suppose it's up to you in that case, and dependent on how you have things set up (like type of bedding and poop management). In my set up I wouldn't allow them to roost there as I do my poop clean up directly under the roosts, so having poop around the nests is just an extra hassle to deal with.

I suppose it's up to you in that case, and dependent on how you have things set up (like type of bedding and poop management). In my set up I wouldn't allow them to roost there as I do my poop clean up directly under the roosts, so having poop around the nests is just an extra hassle to deal with.
i’ve got deep bedding in the coop. i shovel the shavings out from under the roosts every few months and then just add another bale of shavings.

you can kind of see how the top of the boxes flattens out here. that’s where they’re sleeping currently.

Attachments

• 3E2D616B-1729-42DD-8FB2-680D3E11A480.jpeg
    3E2D616B-1729-42DD-8FB2-680D3E11A480.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 10
first question is how do i get them on to the roost instead of the nest boxes at night?

second question is if i can’t, are there any issues with them roosting on the boxes?

Is there enough roost space? Are the other hens chasing the new ones away or picking on them? Sometimes there is a good reason for them to avoid the main roost, so I would check on that first.

The usual problem with roosting in the nests is that the nests get messy (chickens poop a lot at night.) But since this is on the roof of the nests, not inside them, I think it will just come down to whether poop on that surface bothers you. It will probably dry hard like concrete, and give them better traction with time (good, bad, or gross, depending on your point of view.)

I can't imagine they would be very comfortable on that narrow spot at the top, but if they are choosing it, I guess it can't be too bad.

Is there enough roost space? Are the other hens chasing the new ones away or picking on them? Sometimes there is a good reason for them to avoid the main roost, so I would check on that first.

The usual problem with roosting in the nests is that the nests get messy (chickens poop a lot at night.) But since this is on the roof of the nests, not inside them, I think it will just come down to whether poop on that surface bothers you. It will probably dry hard like concrete, and give them better traction with time (good, bad, or gross, depending on your point of view.)

I can't imagine they would be very comfortable on that narrow spot at the top, but if they are choosing it, I guess it can't be too bad.
good questions.

there’s plenty of roost space with ~15 linear feet for my 12 birds.

there’s often 8-9 birds squished on the top roost with a lone straggler on the middle bar. then the three newbies on the nest boxes.

poop up there doesn’t bother me too much. not any more than poop anywhere else in their coop.

your last point is my concern. that can’t be comfortable. it’s maybe 2 inches wide. but it’s not nice and flat. it’s a couple of boards sandwiched together to make up that width, with the lip of the nest box roof there as well.

there’s plenty of roost space with ~15 linear feet for my 12 birds.

there’s often 8-9 birds squished on the top roost with a lone straggler on the middle bar. then the three newbies on the nest boxes.
You say there are 15 feet of roost space, but it looks like the chickens only think 5 feet are good roosting space, with 5 more feet they might use if they have to.

Chickens like to sleep as high as they can. Is there a way to re-arrange the roost bars, so you have more at the highest level? That might help all of them sleep more comfortably.

It looks like the newbies are choosing the nestbox roof because of a combination of height and availability.

your last point is my concern. that can’t be comfortable. it’s maybe 2 inches wide. but it’s not nice and flat. it’s a couple of boards sandwiched together to make up that width, with the lip of the nest box roof there as well.
If you don't mind them sleeping and pooping there, maybe just attach a better board to the top of the nestboxes, so they have a more comfortable spot.

I have been "squirt gunning" my offenders at dark to train them to roosts I want them to go to. :eek: I have 12 feet for 12 birds but I look out and here's 9 on original roost and edge of poop board!!? So they get a gentle hint till they get to correct roost.

I just came across this as i was researching chickens that roost on top of their box. Mine love to sleep on top and some on the roosting bar. I have several bars all over the coop but they still want to sleep on top. Good to see that there is not a "issue" with them doing so. I just rake the top off everyother day to keep it clean.

Back
Top Bottom