Roosting outside the coop, should I worry?

Edit:
(1) long roosting bar down the middle 6 foot long (made from a 2 x 3 or 2 x 4) would make it much easier for the hens to get up on the roosting bars. The roost should be no higher than 18" off the floor.Attaching it in the middle allows the chickens to jump up on the roost from either side. The nest boxes should go in the run so the chickens can use it as a place to roost.Its not big enough for both sorry,

Last edited:
You could actually get a longer roost and a bit more space for getting up on it, if you put the roost in kitty corner. I think pulling out the nest boxes, and doing that might just fix your problem. You might divide the roost with a piece of cardboard so that the bantams could roost on one side out of reach of the bigger girls.

Mrs K

Thanks, again all 5 are bantams. I moved the nesting boxes to the run and put in 2 more roosting bars with some 1x3s running the length (5'). Just went out to check and the 2 OEGs were in the run again :( I give up, I guess if it's cold enough they'll go in the coop themselves.

rebuildmine to make Thanks, again all 5 are bantams. I moved the nesting boxes to the run and put in 2 more roosting bars with some 1x3s running the length (5'). Just went out to check and the 2 OEGs were in the run again :( I give up, I guess if it's cold enough they'll go in the coop themselves.
Your chickens only need one long roosting bar.THey'll have more room if you'll remove the rest.I had to rebuild the roof on mine to correct design flaws in ventilation so yours will be easier to fix than mine.

My run is pretty much fort Knox. Hardware wire top to bottom as well as buried 24 inches out with cinder block wall 2 high around 3 sides and metal roof.
20220612_193201.jpg

Back
Top Bottom