Roosting outside

[email protected]

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
El Paso, Tx
I lowered my roosting bar to 18 in because I read that chickens can get bumblefoot from jumping down too far. But they wouldn't come into the coop to roost anymore. They started roosting on top of the coop and I had to bring them in each night. So I raised it back up and they come I like clockwork. Go figure. It's about 5 ft high now.

I have never had bumble foot, I think that comes from wounds, make sure you sand your roosts before installing. Most of mine roost at 5-7 feet, a few go 20 feet up to the rafters.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection of a wound on the foot......
....it's not caused by high jumps onto hard surfaces but anything hard on the feet can make it more likely to happen.

Ramps to high roosts and/or nests, provided they are properly built with no sharp edges, can help.

I always use a manila rope zig-zaged across the board I'm using for the ramp. It's glued on. My thinking was to provide a no slip material that would be easy on their feet. It has held up very well and I have never seen them stumble or loose their footing.

I always use a manila rope zig-zaged across the board I'm using for the ramp. It's glued on. My thinking was to provide a no slip material that would be easy on their feet. It has held up very well and I have never seen them stumble or loose their footing.
That's a nice idea for 'cleating'!
Do you have older birds too?
Just wondered how it holds up long term....and how you would clean the poop off of it.

Back
Top Bottom