Roosting perches???!

nikki1

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Eatonville, WA
So...Hubby and I have a stack of lumber and hardware cloth in the garage, I have detailed plans on paper, I think I got nest boxes figured out, but I'm baffled as to perches. Here are the things I need to wrap my head around:
--round or rectangular...or does it matter?
--How much perch space per standard hen?
--How thick do they need to support the ladies?
--How high off the floor of the henhouse?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

--Nikki

So...Hubby and I have a stack of lumber and hardware cloth in the garage, I have detailed plans on paper, I think I got nest boxes figured out, but I'm baffled as to perches. Here are the things I need to wrap my head around:
--round or rectangular...or does it matter? Nope...contrary to popular myth, round roosts do not contribute to frostbit toes.
--How much perch space per standard hen? Perch space is usually about a foot for each bird as they have to have room to fly up to and situate themselves on the perch. If it is crowded when they attempt it, there is much fighting, fussing, falling and scrambling for footing. I'd not have any less than a foot per bird and more if you can manage it.
--How thick do they need to support the ladies? The perches you have pictured seem fine...the problems come in if you have very long perches with several fat hens roosting in the middle...then you can get some sway and even breakage.
--How high off the floor of the henhouse? At least a foot higher than the nest boxes unless you want the birds to nest there instead.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

--Nikki

Wow! Thanks, guys! Lots of useful information! I'm thinking maybe a closet pole-sized dowel. My henhouse will be 4x6, so two 4-foot perches sounds like will work for my 6 girls.

Thanks again!

--Nikki

Use 2x2 or 2x3 lumber. It's much easier for the hens to hold onto the lumber. A closet pole is too slick and the hens will not be as comfortable.

Gotcha! No dowel, go lumber. Oddly, I went lumber hunting earlier this winter, and couldn't find 2x3 at Lowe's, Home Depot, or at our local family-owned place. Is it out of style, or do I need to keep looking?

Do you have any woodlots near you? If so, just walk over and grab you a good, strong appropriately-sized sapling and save yourself the money and time. I've always found them to make the best roosts...poop doesn't seem to want to pile up on the roundness of the roost and it fits the claw so well.

Back
Top Bottom