1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    About to start building my roosting poles for the girls and I want just a little more advice. I've read and seen pictures of other people's roosting outfits and I have seen round wooden dowels (poles), 1 x 2s, and 2 x 4s. What have you found that your chickens seem to roost on best? Thanks much!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It depends on where you live.
    If your climate never gets really cold, it doesn't matter.
    If it gets well below freezing, the widest roost you can provide will work well.
    If you look at the birds when they're roosting and you can see their toes, the roost isn't wide enough.

3. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    We've had a mild winter so far but it can go below 0 here in the mtns., we put in 2 x 4's and our girls seem to love them, they are always on the roost at bed time. I think that a 2 x 4 laid flat gives them more stability, IMO. I hope this helps.[​IMG]

4. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Well, I like the idea of using 2x4s simply for the sake of stability. I just didn't know if they were okay with their feet flat like that or if they had to be able to curl their toes around something??? [​IMG]

5. Bauer in Montana

Bauer in Montana Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2011

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  6. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    We are currently in the process of building our coop. I saved a big tree limb that fell during a storm a few weeks ago for a roost. I'm all about free. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Bernard P. Fife

Bernard P. Fife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Alabama
    Could you put a variety of sizes in there and see which ones they migrate to?

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our main roost is a 2 x 4 with the 4" side up. It's held up by 2 x 4 boards with the 2" side up. There are about 4 of them that prefer to roost on those brackets and the rest go on the 2 x 4.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I found some bamboo that works well. Here's my quail roosting on it but I have it in my chicken houses as well.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Flatter, wider roosts are better for chickens' feet than perfectly round poles or dowels. You can use natural tree branches, but make sure there are no sharp spots that could injure feet, and pick branches that are a little wider than your chickens' foot. I sand down any rough spots on the branches I use, and also spray the branch thoroughly with Adams Flea and Tick spray, then leave it out in the sun to dry and air out.

I also use pine or aspen boards, 2" wide for my tiny bantams, with the edges sanded down.

We have a lot of bamboo growing on our property, but I've read that bamboo is too slippery for use as a perch even for perching birds (parrots, etc.), so I don't use it for that purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by