Roosting Poles?

I have a mixed flock of 24 hens that vary quite a bit in size. They have several roosts at the same height - both a 2"x4" and a 3" dowel. The larger hens seem to prefer the board, while the smaller hens like the dowel better. Our winters are sometimes chilly and our coop is insulated but not heated. I've noticed that when the temperature drops below 20 degrees in the coop, they all seem to move towards the board. When the temperature outside drops to 5 degrees or less, they periodically wander in during the day and sit in the deep straw bedding to warm up their feet. During the summer when it was hot they sat on the dowel more than on the board. Do you have enough space to put in different roosts? I feel as if my hens have decided that they have a summer roost and a winter roost.

I think I have enough space to try different roosts. I'll try that. Sounds like from what the majority use, the 2x4s or something wide works best. Thanks all for your help!!!

Could you put a variety of sizes in there and see which ones they migrate to?

I think I'll try that. May start working on them this afternoon since it is nice weather here today.
wink.png

Flatter, wider roosts are better for chickens' feet than perfectly round poles or dowels. You can use natural tree branches, but make sure there are no sharp spots that could injure feet, and pick branches that are a little wider than your chickens' foot. I sand down any rough spots on the branches I use, and also spray the branch thoroughly with Adams Flea and Tick spray, then leave it out in the sun to dry and air out.

I also use pine or aspen boards, 2" wide for my tiny bantams, with the edges sanded down.

We have a lot of bamboo growing on our property, but I've read that bamboo is too slippery for use as a perch even for perching birds (parrots, etc.), so I don't use it for that purpose.
Fresh cut bamboo won't work. I found this Bamboo on the beach it floated in from god knows where. It works great wish I had more.

I use 2 x 2 as well as 2 x 4. We have also used a nice thick tree branch for roosts. Certain kinds of birds have a reflex that the deeper they fall asleep their feet clutch tighter. Chickens don't do that. I think of chickens in the wild finding a nice flat tree branch or crook of a tree to settle down it. They would not perch on a skinny round branch. Domestic chickens especially are so fat and sassy. Surprised they don't need hammocks to sleep in.
lau.gif

One thing to consider is clean-ability. It's nice to be able to wipe it down from time to time. This can help to keep pests such as mites from spreading. A tree limb that is very rough such a locust would not be a good idea. Cedar stripped of its bark would be perfect, also the bamboo mentioned.

I'm using a 3" trunk from a young tree that was shaded to death. They preferred bark intact over stripped when I offered both (better traction when they hop on, I presume). It doesn't get pooped on at all. I sprayed it heavily with neem oil and dried it in the sun before using it for mite prevention. I plan to treat it again when I deep clean this spring and then replace it as needed. I love the look of natural wood and see nothing wrong with using it.

Last edited:
I have some 3" locust poles that I cut 3 or 4 years ago and the bark has began to slip off the wood.

I am planning on building an 8X8 walk in coop, later on this spring.

Should this locust work for the roost?

Last edited:
I used some downed tree branches as perches--about 3 inches in diameter. Parts still have bark while other parts are smooth and the girls definitely prefer the bark (better grip/traction).

My one regret is that the branch wasn't very flat so they all crowd onto the flatter portion and avoid the tilted segment (who wants to sleep at an angle?) I didn't think the angle was that big of a deal when I installed it but I guess it is to them.

So, just a thought--try to get a flat/straight branch if you use one.

I wen tthrough the same thing with a crooked branch. I thought they would love it, but they do like a straight branch better. It's amazing how many will squeeze together on a branch even though there is way plenty of elbow room for them. I guess they like to snuggle.

I have 2x4s, both flat and on end. they are all on the skinner version right now. My chickens are doing just the opposite of what I thought they would. I have 2 coops they can go in. As it got colder they left the more inclosed and higher off the ground coop in favor of the more open setting on the ground coop.

Back
Top Bottom