1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I think I have enough space to try different roosts. I'll try that. Sounds like from what the majority use, the 2x4s or something wide works best. Thanks all for your help!!!

2. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I think I'll try that. May start working on them this afternoon since it is nice weather here today. [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Fresh cut bamboo won't work. I found this Bamboo on the beach it floated in from god knows where. It works great wish I had more.

4. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I use 2 x 2 as well as 2 x 4. We have also used a nice thick tree branch for roosts. Certain kinds of birds have a reflex that the deeper they fall asleep their feet clutch tighter. Chickens don't do that. I think of chickens in the wild finding a nice flat tree branch or crook of a tree to settle down it. They would not perch on a skinny round branch. Domestic chickens especially are so fat and sassy. Surprised they don't need hammocks to sleep in. [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Plymouth, Massachusetts
    One thing to consider is clean-ability. It's nice to be able to wipe it down from time to time. This can help to keep pests such as mites from spreading. A tree limb that is very rough such a locust would not be a good idea. Cedar stripped of its bark would be perfect, also the bamboo mentioned.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm using a 3" trunk from a young tree that was shaded to death. They preferred bark intact over stripped when I offered both (better traction when they hop on, I presume). It doesn't get pooped on at all. I sprayed it heavily with neem oil and dried it in the sun before using it for mite prevention. I plan to treat it again when I deep clean this spring and then replace it as needed. I love the look of natural wood and see nothing wrong with using it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    I have some 3" locust poles that I cut 3 or 4 years ago and the bark has began to slip off the wood.

I am planning on building an 8X8 walk in coop, later on this spring.

Should this locust work for the roost?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  8. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    I used some downed tree branches as perches--about 3 inches in diameter. Parts still have bark while other parts are smooth and the girls definitely prefer the bark (better grip/traction).

My one regret is that the branch wasn't very flat so they all crowd onto the flatter portion and avoid the tilted segment (who wants to sleep at an angle?) I didn't think the angle was that big of a deal when I installed it but I guess it is to them.

So, just a thought--try to get a flat/straight branch if you use one.

9. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I wen tthrough the same thing with a crooked branch. I thought they would love it, but they do like a straight branch better. It's amazing how many will squeeze together on a branch even though there is way plenty of elbow room for them. I guess they like to snuggle.

10. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    I have 2x4s, both flat and on end. they are all on the skinner version right now. My chickens are doing just the opposite of what I thought they would. I have 2 coops they can go in. As it got colder they left the more inclosed and higher off the ground coop in favor of the more open setting on the ground coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by