Roosting question

NHMountainMan

Free Ranging
Feb 25, 2019
New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
Last night we got down to 39 degrees. When I checked on the ladies, they were roosting on top of each other. I've got 22 linear feet off roosting bars. The 13 (23 week old)pullets were squeezed into about 6 linear feet. I did not close the windows in to coop, they were all in the area close to the door, the only area without a window.
So- is that an indication they were cold? At what temp should I start closing windows?
Thx as always!

Last night we got down to 39 degrees. When I checked on the ladies, they were roosting on top of each other. I've got 22 linear feet off roosting bars. The 13 (23 week old)pullets were squeezed into about 6 linear feet. I did not close the windows in to coop, they were all in the area close to the door, the only area without a window.
So- is that an indication they were cold? At what temp should I start closing windows?
Thx as always!
Does the window allow a breeze to blow across the roost? If it does, I'd close it to keep drafts off them if the temperature is going to go below freezing or the winds will be strong.

Does the window allow a breeze to blow across the roost? If it does, I'd close it to keep drafts off them if the temperature is going to go below freezing or the winds will be strong.
I have windows on 3 sides ( front, back, right side) in order to cross vent. They we packed in against the left side. The roosting bars are set at window height right now but I will lower once we get into real cold weather. So I should prevent cross vent by closing front and back? Or close all. I was hoping to acclimate them to cold weather.

This^^^

Are your roosts still set up like this?:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mountain-ledge-coop-95-done-advice-needed.1324961/

they were all in the area close to the door, the only area without a window.
That is also the only 2x4 roost. The others may be too small.

Are your soffits open for ventilation?
(Sorry, I know we've discussed this but I CRS.)

@aart
I reconfigured the roosting bars and added poop boards. Everything is now a 2x4. I'll try to get new pics once it stops raining. I also added soffit vents.
In the attached pic, they we clustered near the door, across from the nest box window, in the space to the left of the front window. 7 chickens on the rear 2x4 and 6 on the front. Normally they're spread across. In front of the windows.
@ValerieJ
The roosting bars are at window height. I can drop the bars below window height or above. Thoughts?

Attachments

• F4572A7E-5C9C-4217-B5BB-A655AB0FF975.jpeg
    F4572A7E-5C9C-4217-B5BB-A655AB0FF975.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
The average temps have dropped about 20 degrees Fahrenheit/11 Celsius the past couple of weeks.
I had both windows wide open during the summer.
When it started to cool down, I partially closed one.
Last evening after sunset I went out to lockup the coops and it was windy with the hurricane a couple hundred miles southeast of us.
The Hens were huddled together so I closed the second window partially too.
So both windows were open just a couple of inches.
Both coops also have ventilation at the eaves and soffits.
It only dropped down to 50 Fahrenheit/10 Celsius last night, but the wind was blowing all night.
I open the coops and turn on lights at 5 am this morning and most went straight to the feeder.
A couple went outside shortly then went back inside. The wind was still blowing at that time.
It still breezy at 8 am. Temp is up to 53 F. GC

Last edited:
@aart
I reconfigured the roosting bars and added poop boards. Everything is now a 2x4. I'll try to get new pics once it stops raining. I also added soffit vents.
In the attached pic, they we clustered near the door, across from the nest box window, in the space to the left of the front window. 7 chickens on the rear 2x4 and 6 on the front. Normally they're spread across. In front of the windows.
@ValerieJ
The roosting bars are at window height. I can drop the bars below window height or above. Thoughts?
I'd just almost close the windows, again, as long as the winds won't be strong. You want that ventilation.
And I guarantee the chickens were just fine. 39F isn't that cold.

@ValerieJ[/USER]
The roosting bars are at window height. I can drop the bars below window height or above. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Interesting question. I think the roosting bars should be below the windows. They are trying to get somewhere that the air is not blowing directly on them. You want the air flow at the top. Maybe you could leave them open and block the bottom half with plexiglass or something.

That being said, sometimes I think chickens like to cozy up. I have 3 coops and often I find 6 or 7 chickens stuffed into one little 4x4 coop. Then there are only a couple in the 4x10. So, chickens. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom