Roosting Question

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
When do I need to supply my babies with roosting poles? They will be 3 weeks old on Monday 23rd. They are wanting to always sit on top of their feeder and waterer. Is this sign that it is time for them to roost?

I put up roost this week...my pullets are about 5 weeks old. They had problems getting up on first one I put up so I dropped it a few inches. Don't think there's such a think as too early for them to learn eh.

Mine are a week old today and they are already roosting. Here is my brooder setup; one is roosting in the pic at day two! But, that high spot on the stick right up by the front of the glass...that's the spot they fight for. It's too cute to watch.

brooder.jpg

jag, i noticed you are using a regular white bulb. just wondered if you knew about red heat bulbs? it's proven that the red bulb keeps them from picking/pecking each other. it also reduces the glare in their little eyes. it made a world of difference with mine to change over. just a suggestion.

I haven't had a problem with them pecking or picking each other; yet anyway, but I wondered if I would need to switch the bulbs out. So far, no problems. There is one red bulb in there. Never thought about the glare in their little eyes, though! Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'll grab that bulb anyway! The feed store had red 250 watt heat bulbs and I'll need it for the coop anyway!
Good idea! Thanks Countrygirl!

I've used a white bulb from day one and have not had any pecking problems. The room is never completely dark though, and the bulb is somewhat offset..close enough for heat, but I doubt there is any glare.

As for the roost, just make it low enough that they wont injure their little legs from jumping/falling off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom