roosting question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kesta, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    my chicks are about a monthold and i figured it was time to have them start roosting so a few minutes ago i put a stick through a couple of holes in there cage(the holes arent big) and they freaked out! they seem to be scared of there roost are they still too young theyre almost fully featherd out

2. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    I am new to this too so I don't have the correct answer persay, however I know that my Plymouth Barred Rocks and Cochins didn't seem to even show an interest in roosting until closer to three weeks.

HTH!

edited for horrible spelling, lol

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  3. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    my aruacana's are 3.5 weeks old and have had access to a roost since they were just over two weeks old. They didn't neccessarily "roost" on it, but they did jump up on it, play on it and fight over who got to sit in the middle. Now they are outside and I had to make another roost for them because more of them were wanting to hang out on it. They are also roosting on the tote that is in the run with them.

4. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Anything new in their little world can scare them at first.....call it a survival tactic!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. Give them time, they'll get used to it and give roosting a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by