1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting spots inside the coop - pecking order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamahenAtlanta, Aug 25, 2014.

1. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Just curious about the reason for this change: My 7 week old flock (5 pullets, one roo) have been roosting in the same spot -- on 1 roost pole about 5 feet long -- all together in a tiny area at the backside of the coop, nearly piled up on one another. But suddenly--in the last week, my EE pullet is roosting all by herself at the opposite end, right next to the door. Curious about the reason for this change. Ideas? I might have thought the roo (though immature) would be the one to roost next to the door, but he's in the pile with the other girls.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might be roosting away from the other birds because she is low in the pecking order and doesn't want to get pecked. Do the other chickens pick on her at all? Or, she may just want to have more space.

3. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    good advice Wyandotts7,our buzzard get's picked on so she roost's behind the other's,smart chickie's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL! No, they don't pick on her but she does get a lot of attention from humans--she's sort of a 'favorite' The others are probably just jealous and pushed her out of their clique! All of their personalities are so different, so fun to watch. I love the way they 'fly laps' around the coop when I open the pop door first thing in the a.m. Wish I could stay home all day to watch them. (Bad enough I'm on this website as much as I am --at work! sshhhhhhh!!)

5. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    lol understood,i am always outside morn and 8 pm for sure but i try to check in here too,glad she's not being picked on,i j
    have a fav too miss peck's alot a big fatt buff,yp i'm a buff addict,lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by