Roosting spots inside the coop - pecking order?

mamahenAtlanta

Songster
6 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Just curious about the reason for this change: My 7 week old flock (5 pullets, one roo) have been roosting in the same spot -- on 1 roost pole about 5 feet long -- all together in a tiny area at the backside of the coop, nearly piled up on one another. But suddenly--in the last week, my EE pullet is roosting all by herself at the opposite end, right next to the door. Curious about the reason for this change. Ideas? I might have thought the roo (though immature) would be the one to roost next to the door, but he's in the pile with the other girls.

She might be roosting away from the other birds because she is low in the pecking order and doesn't want to get pecked. Do the other chickens pick on her at all? Or, she may just want to have more space.

LOL! No, they don't pick on her but she does get a lot of attention from humans--she's sort of a 'favorite' The others are probably just jealous and pushed her out of their clique! All of their personalities are so different, so fun to watch. I love the way they 'fly laps' around the coop when I open the pop door first thing in the a.m. Wish I could stay home all day to watch them. (Bad enough I'm on this website as much as I am --at work! sshhhhhhh!!)

lol understood,i am always outside morn and 8 pm for sure but i try to check in here too,glad she's not being picked on,i j
have a fav too miss peck's alot a big fatt buff,yp i'm a buff addict,lol

Back
Top Bottom