Roosting

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
I think I read it here somewhere but is it mandatory or a must that chickens roost at night ? I have 2 vastly different aged flocks of girls. Was having trouble getting the littles in at night so we let the littles in first and they go right to roost...the bigs will go in and mill about for a bit eat and drink...but not all if any roost. Not sure if they are lazy or just don't feel like roosting..any thoughts?

The bigs were roosting just fine and do from time to time. We use deep litter method so they just snuggle in the litter. They have plenty of space to roost and I added an additional bar for good measure when the littles were introduced to the flock.

Mine all prefer to roost in front of the windows. They have a huge roost in the back of the coop that they rarely use, they would much rather use the smaller roosts near the windows. If you have windows maybe try to put the roosts in front of them.
Also mine roosted on a stick I put in the brooder right away at 1 or 2 weeks old!

Last edited:
I do not let my babies in there before the big girls. I'm not sure if I read it here or if I imagined it but the big girls will be higher on the pecking order, so they go in first. My older ones get to pick the roost they want first (usually the highest one) then the babies get to pick (they havent started roosting yet). I can see the bigger ones not getting on the roost if the babies were either in their way or their spot.

I do not let my babies in there before the big girls. I'm not sure if I read it here or if I imagined it but the big girls will be higher on the pecking order, so they go in first. My older ones get to pick the roost they want first (usually the highest one) then the babies get to pick (they havent started roosting yet). I can see the bigger ones not getting on the roost if the babies were either in their way or their spot.

Guess my flock disagrees. I let them manage bedtime themselves, so currently my chicks go in first, take top roost, then the younger adults (2 yrs) go in, kick them all off (lol), then the older adults mosey in, get on the roost and get settled, and then the chicks try to squeeze in between adults if they can. Some days they do, other days some are stuck with the lower roost.

Yeah, if the higher ranking chickens want the top roost, they'll get the top roost. If they choose to sleep on the ground, then they either prefer it that way, or can't get to the roost for some reason. For example, if they go in very late, after it's already too dark for them to see the roost well, they may decide jumping in the dark is not worth it, and settle for the ground. I have a couple of chickens that like to stay out late. Some days when they go in, it's too dark for them to see well. I see them circling under the taller roost, craning their necks trying to find a spot, but eventually they give up and settle for the bottom roost. Or, if they fall off at night, there's no way they can get back up in the dark, so they stay on the bottom roost. If you only have one roost, then the ground might just be the only place left if the older chickens can't see or get back up to the roost.

We have plenty of roosting space for all 10 girls and the little girls go to with no issues then I let the big girls in and they take their sweet time get a drink and feeding and seems to long and the lights go off before they all roost. If I leave the light on longer they terrorize the little girls and its WAY to much drama before bed. So I could leave the light on longer but I would like them to work it if possible.. was just wondering if it's a bad thing for the big girls to sleep on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom