1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Yard full o' rocks, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Ok, I have just completed a new 6ft x 8ft coop for my 8 girls and 1 rooster. Inside the coop there are 2 roosting poles; one approx 5 ft off the ground and 6 ft long the other is approx 3 1/2 ft off the ground and 3 ft long. My chickens are all in the coop every night, but, they are huddled together on the floor. I live in NW Georgia and the weather has been cool, but certainly far from "cold". The roosting poles are 1 1/4" PVC, screwed in so they wont roll around. Any idea why they are chosing the ground over the roost? Maybe they didn't use a roost at the hatchery where I bought them....they are about 6 months old...all Buff Orps, and all CAN fly. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned? Thanks

2. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    I tried to use PVC pipe for roosts when I built my coop and found that the hens couldn't hold onto it due to it being slippery! They huddled on the floor like yours are doing. I replaced it with treated 2"x2"s and everyone is on the roosts now!

3. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    unfortunately, if you got them from a hatchery they've probably been kept in big buildings with little to no room for walking and likely no roosts. [​IMG]
    but this probably does not hold true to all; where did you get them?

they'll learn eventually learn to roost and your roosts sound fine [​IMG]
    ETA- changing one of the roosts might be a good idea

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with rnoyster. pvc is too slippery for them. Try and find a straight tree limb if you can't get anything else.

5. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I would have to agree that the pvc pipe is too slippery for them to hold on to.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Using wood, either 2 x 2 or 2 x 4 works better. Chickens don't grasp with their feet all night long, as a caged bird would do. Once they settle on the roost, they release the grasp of their feet and rest on their keel bone; covering their feet in the process.

7. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    i have added the parakeet grit paper but in stores over the pvc and had good luck with this.

i wouldnt ever use sand paper thou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by