Roosts and Nest Boxes Heights

fasbendera

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Midwest
It works. I rearranged my coop on Tuesday. I raised my roosts and lowered my nest boxes. Went out on Wednesday morning and NO Chicken Poo in the nest boxes! I have my roosts a little higher than recommended on the site but they all made it up there Tuesday night. Thanks BYC for the info. Now onto the poop boards and making a door for my feed area.

thumbsup.gif

How high are the roosts? What breed of chickens?
You will not regret the poop boards, in 40 years of raising chickens the best thing I ever did.

Quote:
22047_p1010030.jpg

The bottom nest box is 16" from the top of the bedding so about 18-19 from the floor

This picture is before I lowered the nest box and raised the roosts (you can just see the roosts behind the nest box.

The roosts are 36" from the top of the bedding so 38-39 from the floor.
The top nest box is now lower than the roosts. I did find a few dropping in one box but they were occupying three of the top four nests. I will be blocking them for a few nights to break them of their habit.

This may be a little high but they seem to like it.

Last edited:
Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/22047_p1010030.jpg

The bottom nest box is 16" from the top of the bedding so about 18-19 from the floor

This picture is before I lowered the nest box and raised the roosts (you can just see the roosts behind the nest box.

The roosts are 36" from the top of the bedding so 38-39 from the floor.
The top nest box is now lower than the roosts. I did find a few dropping in one box but they were occupying three of the top four nests. I will be blocking them for a few nights to break them of their habit.

This may be a little high but they seem to like it.

I don't think the 36" is too high. That is exactly what mine are and no problems. The main problem with high roosts is bumble foot and I have not had a case of that in years.
Looking at your breed list the only problem I see is that cornish x may not be able to get that high.

My roosts are even higher than yours! But I do have a droppings board under the roosts that they will often fly to on their way up or jump down to on their way down. This is in addition to a ramp on one side that they can (but rarely do) use if they want. Can't imagine trying to keep the coop clean without the droppings board:p You will love it once you have it up.
31803_150.jpg

Back
Top Bottom