1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosts--- how high should they be???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PurplePoppiPpl, Dec 30, 2012.

1. PurplePoppiPpl

PurplePoppiPpl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    i suppose this might depend on the breed and i havs BO, SW, AA, and also a belgian D'uccle that can fly like any song bird and my poor cochin who can hardley get off the ground. Where is the happy medium??? Also what are your guy's thoughts on differing height perches----- my friend has 5 chickens and the highest roost only fits 2 and they are constantly squabbling over it....
    thanks!!!

2. 3Dchicken

3Dchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    I've heard that it is a good idea to put some of the shorter perches in front, followed by eventually taller ones in the back.

3. SeanBlack

SeanBlack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    I've read on the computer that about a foot from the ground and about 8" per chicken

4. 3Dchicken

Sep 24, 2012
    It prolly depends on the breed. I don't know much about certain breeds.

5. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Mine start at ground level in a ladder style then another ladder about 5' off the ground opposing with some single rails around the walls about 6.5' up.. They all want the top roost.
    [​IMG]

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

To suite many different breeds.

I use ladders. Always ladders. My cochins can make it up to #3

7. 3Dchicken

Sep 24, 2012
    Aww a cute wall of chickens! <3

8. aoxa

9. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    You could make a walk way to the roost. That's what I had to do for my silkie. Since they have poor feather conditions and therefor can't fly quite well.

10. aoxa

It's not really poor feather conditions.. I think a lot of the silkie roosting issues stem from not being able to see well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by