ROOSTS--Is round 2" dowel better than a 2x4?

Malou-La-Croix

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Central Florida
Almost done with the coop and we about to put in a 2" diameter wooden curtain rod for a roost. What are your opinions for an ideal roost? I searched the forum and come people recommend a 2" x 4" and others a rounded roost. I'd like to hear your thoughts!

They seem to have more stability on a 2X4. I started out with tree branches, but they seem to like the 2X4 better.

I used 2 1/2" round rods. I think a flat 2 x 4 would have been better. Chickens don't have the grip strength in their feet like other birds, so a flat surface would probably be better. I find the ones already on the roost often fall off when somebody lands too close to them when flying onto the roost. Either that, or I have clumsy chickens with poor balance.
tongue.png

I use 2x4's so that they are more stable and have wider gripping place for their feet. also in the cold weather, the wider board/roost helps them with speading their feathers over their feet.

In Florida, I don't think you'll have problems with frostbite, but I do thing they like the stability of a 2xwhatever. Im sure they feel more secure and they can huddle up on their feets
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom