Root Matted Beds

MEMama3

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Vacation Land; Maine
I just did my autumn clean out of my beds and noticed that my beds are so matted with roots (the small hair-like ones) that I can barely shovel into it to put spring bulbs. I knew there was a problem forming, but it seems to have snuck up on me regarding the severity. Although I fear I know the answer, what would you suggest I do to revive my beds? I have no fear of pulling my perennials to replant after tilling and turning and amending, but I fear for the self sowing annuals I finally have established in there (a five year project).

But, are the roots from the perennials you love, or some weeds/grass?

A thick mat of roots from desired plants are good...it will help outcompete weeds. It is only a problem if the perenials are so crowded or root bound that they are no longer growing.....or you want to whack back the perennials so that your annuals can grow with more vigour.

The perennials are doing great and there aren't many weeds in the season. Should I leave well enough alone? I was just shocked how the soil was when I went to put some more bulbs in.

I agree, if the bed is thriving and the roots are blocking out weeds, sounds like it's perfection and time to leave it alone!

Back
Top Bottom