Rooting out a roo

HutchButch

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
I have a flock of five who are about a month old. I recently found out that one is a rooster, because he started crowing. I went into getting quail for the eggs and didn't want any males, so I decided to take him out of the flock to exchange for a female.

When I isolated him, he didn't eat much if at all. Same for the rest of the flock. They'll usually finish off a feeder's worth of food in about 12 hours, but when I checked on the flock in the morning, most of the food was still there. If I end up exchanging the rooster for a hen, I don't want the flock to not eat. On the other hand, I want more (and unfertilized) eggs. Any advice on how to handle this?

Thanks for the tips!

I've read on these forums and elsewhere that coturnix hens can "crow". Should I wait to see if the subject in question is merely a female who crew?

Depending on Color of Coturnix the breast Feathers should tell if it’s a Cockerel or Pullet by the 4 week mark. If not vent sex in a few weeks.. pictures?

This is one of two birds in question. This one and one other have a more uniform breast color. The other three are more spotted on the breast.

Attachments

• 2023-08-20-10-26-31-870_1_1_1 (1).jpg
    2023-08-20-10-26-31-870_1_1_1 (1).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 12
Speckled breast are females solid gold/rusty breast are males. I am so eaking on Wilds/Brown, Coturnix come in many colors many are not feather sexable so you must vent sex at appropriate age. 5-6 weeks usually. But if they are crowing they are old enough to sex usually

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom