Rose Comb Brown Leghorns?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Frosty, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Thinking about ordering some from McMurray... Don't want them for show stock, just thinking of ordering new chicks and want brown, white and green eggs. I usually have white leghorns, but was thinking that rose combs would do better in the winter here. So wanted to ask if anyone has the Rose Comb Brown Leghorns, and if so, what is the temperament like? Don't want to go with the Hamburgs they have... got something that looked like that in a rainbow layer mix about 10 years ago and was anxiuosly waiting for her to lay. But she was a he, and not only didn't lay but was also one of the meanest chickens I ever met! The day he attacked DH and drew blood was his last day... Thanks for any thoughts on these!

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I had a rosecomb brown leghorn from McMurray and liked her. I don't know anything about her egg-laying ability, as I never could tell which white eggs were hers. She wasn't as skittish as my silver-spangled hamburgs, but not as curious and bossy as my pearl white leghorns. Now I have a single-comb brown leghorn from McMurray, and she's got the same temperament. Shy, won't eat out of my hand, but not nearly as shy as the SSH's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by