Rose comb RIR

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyb1969, Nov 17, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Are rose comb Rhode Island Reds a common variety, or rather rare/hard to find?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    harder to find then the straight combs, but i dont think their rare,

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Rose Combed Rhode Island Reds are a variety of Rhode Island Red & not a separate breed. They are considerably less common than their SINGLE Combed counterpart.

4. shelleyb1969

Quote:Thanks for correcting my wording. I knew that, but worded my post wrong. I'm going to edit it and correct it now.

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I have a Rose Combed RIR and I love her! I prefer the RC to the SC.

6. shelleyb1969

Quote:Do you have a pic of her? BTW, I just checked out your BYC page and I think all of your birds are gorgeous! Very healthy and look so happy. I have Delawares myself. Will you have blue andalusian hatching eggs in the spring? If so, put me on your list! lol

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Thanks, I lost my Blue Andalusian this spring, she just disappeared one day. I also lost me Delaware hen to internal laying this fall but I am getting hatching eggs from Speckled Hen this spring. My dang camera is broken. I have to buy another. When I do I will post a photo of her. She is BEAUTIFUL and from Bammachicken's stock but Julie does not have her RIR's any longer. If you are looking for hatching eggs try the RIR clubs site.

8. bantyman

bantyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Hey all [​IMG]
    I have the RIR rosecomb bantams and they are fantastic I wouldnt say they are rare but are harder to find than the straight combs I got mine from Dick Horsten(?) Probly got the last name wrong but thats the general idea His birds are almost black Have a roo making a mad attempt at crowing but one day he will get there So far they are good natured which I really like Off the soap box now [​IMG]

Mike [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by