Rose from Downers Grove, IL

the42ndfl00r

Hatching
Feb 8, 2015
Hello all!

I have 4 chicks, hopefully all hens. I've had the chicks for 3.5 weeks now, received them from http://www.chickensforbackyards.com/. Two speckled sussex, Nugget and Noodle, and two silver laced wyandottes, Little and Kiev (AKA BullyBossy). The pictures below are of varied dates.

Luna just seems to want to touch them and smell them. No claws or teeth, yet! Our other cat Casper is curious, but frightened when they come too close.

All four on my shoulder!

Luna stops them from falling off the table.

Note how the speckled sussex in back hasn't got any tail or back feathers yet
hu.gif
I hope she's a stunted little lady and not a roo! 6 days since this photo and Nugget still has no tail feathers.

We're in the process of building a coop from the Garden Coop plans. It's going well so far.

My brother lives in Downers Grove. He has told me DG is allowing chickens but he didn't know what the limitations were. Before, I guess you needed a lot of land from one end to another away from neighbors - making it pretty impossible for most residents. Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I remember my speckled sussex hen was slow to feather out as well but I would keep an eye on her.

Last edited:
My brother lives in Downers Grove.  He has told me  DG is allowing chickens but he didn't know what the limitations were.  Before, I guess you needed a lot of land from one end to another away from neighbors - making it pretty impossible for most residents.  Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined  the flock.

When they changed the rules and made it so you could get a permit and have chickens as close as 7ft from bordering fences with your neighbors permission it was put in the paper and other online sources. What I hadn't realized was that it had been allowed on larger properties beforehand. I am lucky to have one of those properties! Ultimately, it just means I don't need to go through extra hoops to start my flock. Luckily, since the publicization of the new rules we decided it was time for the coop!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm glad to hear the ordinances are in your favour! I've hatched a batch of RIR chicks a few weeks ago and two of them were VERY slow to feather out. One turned out to be female and one I'm thinking is a male. Sometimes you just get a little slow coach
smile.png

Today's latest photos! 17 days since we received them!

Speckled Sussex, Nugget - bare shoulders
hmm.png

Speckled Sussex, Noodle

Silver Laced Wyandottes, Little and Kiev (aka BullyBossy)

Silver Laced Wyandottes, Little in the foreground, Kiev in the middle and Speckled Sussex, Nugget in the background

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Your chicks are all adorable! You have some very nice breeds.

Back
Top Bottom