Rosecomb

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
I'm a newbie so please forgive my ignorance...this is a two fer question first question...do all rose šŸŒ¹ comb combs do ALL Rosecrans lay flat as they go over the top of the head ? Reason I am asking is I have 6-11 month old Wyandottes where their combs all lay flat except 1..I think it may be a pecking or head in to small of a space for smooooooth removal. It isn't and wasn't bloody just stands up like Alfalfa in our gang.
Second question is about Blue Wyandottes...we have 2 of them(loooooong story) and are the most timid,shy girls we have..I would have a WHOLE flock of them if that is there nature. They were born the first week of March.

THE universe must have spun backwards for a minute..spell check was WAY off from what i thought I typed ...
I'm a newbie so please forgive my ignorance...this is a two fer question first question...do ALL rose šŸŒ¹ comb combs lay flat as they go over the top of the head ? Reason I am asking is I have 6-11 month old Wyandottes where their combs all lay flat except 1..I think it may be a pecking or head in to small of a space for smooooooth removal. It isn't and wasn't bloody just stands up like Alfalfa in our gang ?
Second question is about Blue Wyandottes...we have 2 of them(loooooong story) and are the most timid,shy girls we have..I would have a WHOLE flock of them if that is there nature. They were born the first week of March

Wyandotte rose combs are supposed to lay flat and follow the contour of the head.
Every once in a while you will get a single comb bird show up.
This is because the breed was crossed with a single comb breed back in the late 1800s into the early 1900s.
The single comb should not be bred but will if A hen will make a nice addition to your laying flock.

I have found all color varieties of Wyandotte to be a docile breed and the hens make wonderful mothers. The roosters can be very protective of their flock and only a rare male must be disciplined to be human friendly or he goes into a stew pot.
Here are a Columbian Wyandotte and a Barred Wyandotte
89E3D8CB-2FAE-432A-860F-FB3B2BBBC46F.jpeg

Here beside the Columbian are a Blue Wyandotte, a Barred with a single comb and a few Buff Columbian.
3990E262-E31F-4916-9FB4-AB0E2E17EC29.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom