Rosemary passed away last night.

Give a crushed TUM >this is an emergency equivalent of the calcium gluconate the vet would give (mix it with a wee bit of cooked oatmeal and make a couple "pellets of it) and also three drops of POLYVISOL Enfamil formulation once a day for a week then taper off the next (this is a liquid A-B-D3 childrens vitamin >D3 is very important to calcium absorption and thin shells are often associtated with a lack of it)
If you suspect thin shells be careful with massage.
When it is hot your birds are going to eat less so you need to put a good complete general nutritional supplement in with their feed if they are laying.

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed this yesterday Kim. I am so sorry. I know Cyn has been having some trouble with simular things at her place and it has been so sad. Especially since you thought she was doing so well and was eating and being active and all.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info. I just want to be prepared if I ever have to experience this ever again. I'm assumming it will happen since my oldest flock is all the same age and from the same hatchery.

Yes, we've had a few extreme hot days this summer, but over all the whole summer has been mild. It's is gorgeous here this week. It feels like fall in the morning already.

What about what kind of meds to give if an egg has broken inside of them? I hope this info will help someone else to save their hen.

Quote:
Thank you so much Carrie!!!!! Yes, she seemed to perk right up after it had passed. I wish I knew if there was something different I could have done to save her. I think I'm going to give the whole flock some supplements in their water to be on the safe side.

I didn't expect to lose my first hen so early in her life. I've been in shock and sad.

Back
Top Bottom