Ross broilers

I had a freedom ranger for four years. Weighed twelve pounds and still run when let out to free range. He looked a little strange running but still was able.

This isn't so. I read the figures from the industry and losses can go as high as 25 percent and still make money. The industry is on a PR campaign against healthy, backyard growers. This is a false gospel but one being sold hard right now. Are you paid by the industry? That being said, many problems DO originate with bad practices of SOME small farmers. Cornish X do very well outdoor and live a long time if given the chance------Under the right conditions. They must be provided clean litter and extra work done for bird health.

This isn't so.  I read the figures from the industry and losses can go as high as 25 percent and still make money. Oh how much I wish you were correct and I was terribly wrond. The industry is on a PR campaign against healthy, backyard growers.  They are not at all concerned about the effect of backyard poultry meat production. They slaughter about 25 million birds per day - 365. All the mail order hatchery don't hatch that many birds in total in an entire year. They are concerned about backyard poultry exposure to wild birds and becoming a part of disease footholds.This is a false gospel but one being sold hard right now. What is being sold hard is the paranoid hype generated to support other agendas. Mostly animal rights. Are you paid by the industry? Yes I am. I raise millions of broilers a year under contract. What qualifies your remarks? That being said, many problems DO originate with bad practices of SOME small farmers.   Cornish X do very well outdoor and live a long time if given the chance------Under the right conditions. They must be provided clean litter and extra work done for bird health.

Ross Breeders World Headquarters is near me.

I could not have said it better than CrazyTalk did.

Ross does not sell, or give away their foundation lines. They only sell chicks inbred to produce the eggs that hatch into the broiler-fryers that you see in the grocery store.

I have seen two roosters that escaped from a Ross Breeders brood house and that then took up at a friend's home. The last time I saw them they were pushing 30 pounds.

Read and head CrazyTalk's and ChickenJerk's posts.

As they will mature into a heavier breed make sure you watch their feed too much corn will make them fat, plenty of exercise so put water not near food source, check feet and legs regularly heavier animals can develop bumble feet, people pointed out fresh bedding a must, if you give them roosts you will want very close or the ground ones, if caged make sure the cage requires movement food on one side water on the other maybe even obstacles that require them to walk around, over and under to get about... many people have these birds as pets on BYC or kept one as a layer, so anything is possible with good care. The only way to find out how long they will live is not killing them, it is assumed they are short lived while other breeds are assumed long lived, but I have read plenty of stories of "longer life spanned" breeds being found dead at two years so individual bird's genetics versus assumed genetics is a real thing... your birds might live longer than assumed. Good care and good diets are your variables you can control. BTW Pet Rats have a very short life span but people still keep them as pets knowing that... so enjoy your birds on their terms and don't worry about life spans just happy lives. Read up on bumble foot prevention, and growth concerns on these fast growers so you can prevent those health issues is my advice... and post pictures we all love pictures.

Back
Top Bottom