Roster has his favorites

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redneck, May 20, 2008.

1. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    I have been watching my rooster lately. It seems he has his favorite hens. I only have four hens and he only services 2, the other 2 he never bothers. I have been checking the eggs and 2 out of 4 are infertile. Is this normal?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Yes it is normal.

I have a roo in with 18 hens and you can tell his fav's by the missing saddle feathers.

3. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    My roo has his favorites too.I think he mates with them all but has those that he mates with more.
    I love having my roo, cause he does a great job protecting his flock, but he has about 4-6 favorites. I have provided him with 12 hens so my hens would not suffer from "rooster rash", but it has not worked.
    Should I seperate my roo from his favorites for a while?????

4. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I think everyone has this problem if they have fertile egg's.I have thought that I was the only one that had some bare back hen's but I know that's not the case.I have hens with bare backs and one's in the same pen that don't have a feather missing yet their egg's are fertile.Go figure.

5. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    I can't speak for all roo's but, my big BLRW goes for the girls that are closes to his size . Which none are very close he is so tall and long.

6. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    The two hens that he ignores are considerably smaller than him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by