Rosto- What's in the mix?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by synoviaus, Sep 18, 2010.

1. synoviaus

synoviaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    Here's Rosto. He weighs 13.5 pounds. He is slightly longer than tall. He's muscled up like a mini-pit bull. His dad was a pure bred miniature Boston Terrier. His mother was a short-haired white dog with brown spots and a long tail that was held over her back. Her original owners paid over $900 for her. Then they moved, and gave her to my boss without telling her the breed. This female was really intelligent and has since been used to herd sheep and goats. My boss had understood that the dog had been spayed, so was surprised when this wasn't the case. A few weeks later she had five puppies sired by her elderly Boston Terrier who weighed about eight lbs.. All the puppies went to different homes and they are exactly like my Rosto. He is the best dog I have ever owned. I got him when he was five months old. He had been an outside puppy, before me. He was house trained completely in days. He will NOT go in the house ever! He is extremely intelligent and will learn new things really easily. He went through obedience class, and was one of the stars there. He's quiet, clean, and gets along with all animals and other people. He came here knowing how to fetch and retrieve. He will even put the ball in your hand or lap so you don't have to bend. If I had the extra money; I would pay for a dna test, but I don't. I have included different pictures of him from all angles so you can see his muscling and body type. I would love to know what he's mixed with because everyone who has one of these puppies wants another. So, my question is Who's his Mama? I just can't figure it out. Amy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Wow! He sure is cute! My guess is he has got some hound in the woodpile some where. From your description of his mom she sounds very very hound like. Maybe Foxhound? Or a Redbone/Redtick mix. Or maybe a Bluetick mix of the pups he's playing with are his relations. I would not rule out a Catahoula either. They are very smart and used to heard cattle. Hope this helps!

3. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

I see Boston Terrier [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Same here...

Boston Terrier and maybe Jack Russel? But then he'd be a bit smaller...

Boston Terrier in there for sure though.

5. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    The first thing that popped into my mind was boston terrier. Very pretty dog!

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I agree with Ropo. Looks very much like a Boston/Jack mix. [​IMG]

7. synoviaus

synoviaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    Thanks, I appreciate all the help. Wow!! You guys have come up with some great suggestions. This has really stumped me because of his size. I couldn't imagine what breed would cost that much and be around here in Alabama. We don't get many unusual breeds of dogs. I also had someone say maybe Basenji. He does bark, no yodel. He also tries to talk to us and makes quite alot of different sounds. I was also asked about his name---Rosto is Portuguese for face, but I got the name from the book Bloodhound by Tamera Pierce. She has a character named Rosto the Piper who is King of the Rogues/thieves. I liked the name, and it seemed to fit my new puppy. Now, the name really suits him, and I can't imagine calling him anything else. Amy

8. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Unless the mother wasn't pure, then she wouldn't be a basenji, because they have tight corkscrew tails, kind of like a pug. (I did just read on Wikipedia, though, that they straighten out their tail when they run sometimes)

His back legs and hindquarters look a bit like a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. ??? I don't know. But their tails usually hang down, at least at rest. (In pictures....) Do you have a picture of the mother possibly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by