Rotating Pasture Questions

SVCostanzo

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
Western Missouri
I am pre-planning my coop/pasture area before building and ran into a snag...
I plan on having about 10-12 layers and want to set up 4 rotating pastures. I should have about 40 sq. ft. coop, with an entrance to each mini-pasture, but I was wondering if there are recommendations for how large each pasture should be? I have not found much info on pasture size. I have found plenty on how long the greens should be, and types of greens to plant for them, and on how long the birds should be loose in each pasture...but not size Since I am going to make each mini-pasture part of a fenced area surrounding the coop, I wonder how much space I should fence in? I also want to have some perennials planted around the inner perimeter for bugs and things for them to forage.
Tips on size, or tell me if my whole plan is completely asinine. LOL

I am pre-planning my coop/pasture area before building and ran into a snag...
I plan on having about 10-12 layers and want to set up 4 rotating pastures. I should have about 40 sq. ft. coop, with an entrance to each mini-pasture, but I was wondering if there are recommendations for how large each pasture should be? I have not found much info on pasture size. I have found plenty on how long the greens should be, and types of greens to plant for them, and on how long the birds should be loose in each pasture...but not size Since I am going to make each mini-pasture part of a fenced area surrounding the coop, I wonder how much space I should fence in? I also want to have some perennials planted around the inner perimeter for bugs and things for them to forage.
Tips on size, or tell me if my whole plan is completely asinine. LOL

How did you decide to do your rotational run and coop. I would love to hear how this is working for you, the results with your layers, the size you are using, method of fencing. Pictures would be great. I am thinking about doing the same thing with my 8 layers. 8 for now that is!

Back
Top Bottom