Rotating runs for grass.

Mamagirl3

Chirping
May 1, 2022
Southern Missouri
We just added a 10X12 section to our run. It has a lush green thick grass right now. If we only let them into that side every other day will the grass stay? Unlike the other that is bare hard dirt! They are out to free forage almost every day some days longer than others...
Thanks for your thoughts.

With only a few birds (like maybe 3-4) and limited access, you should be able to keep some grass growing in there. I was able to keep grass going for about 2 years in the 10x20 side of my run by limiting my small flock to a couple hours of access a day.

With only a few birds (like maybe 3-4) and limited access, you should be able to keep some grass growing in there. I was able to keep grass going for about 2 years in the 10x20 side of my run by limiting my small flock to a couple hours of access a day.
That is encouraging for me! We would really like to have a safe area with grass for them ... and realistically it wont stay green unless access is monitored! Thank you for sharing.

I think 12 hens on that amount of grass every other day will wear out the area pretty quick. 😔
Well... guess we need to limit access to less than that! Probably wouldnt need to let them in there if they will be out half the day or more. Our thought on adding this was to have a safe place for them to have grass when they cant be out to free range. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom