Rotating runs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by desertgirl, Apr 12, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    In Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, she talks about rotating the run areas (like one would rotate crops) in order to allow the soil to recover and to discourage an overgrowth of parasites. Does anyone do this? We are rather limited on space, and I'd like to know if we need to build 2 smaller runs or if most have found it to be OK with just one. My chickens will occasionally come out to free range, but most of their time will be spent in their run/coop.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Personally I'd say if your space is limited you are better off giving chickens access to all of it, and doing remediation things as necessary such as tilling, liming, adding sand or gravel, that sort of thing.

WIth limited space, even if you rotate between 2 runs, probably both will get totally thrashed anyhow [​IMG]

JMO, good luck,

Pat

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

4. fhdogs

fhdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Quote:OMG I love that idea! I really wish I could do something like that, but unfortunately the only places I can build my coop (for sunlight, and ground stability) are horrible for a garden.

Maybe next year I'll clear some more property and move my coop to fit into a setup like that.

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I wishI could,too, but we don't have near enough space for that.[​IMG]

Could you tell me more about what to do to help "recover" the ground (the sand,tilling etc...).I know the chickens will be hard on the ground due to constant scratching...what can I do to help the poor ground out?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by