Rotating Waterers in the cold...

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
So we finally got our cold and snow, so I've been out every 2 hours rotating out waterers to make sure everyone is able to get a good drink today.

I also gave everyone an extra corn ration since it's a "warm" food. I normally try not to feed too much corn.

So far everyone is looking good - no cold combs, wattles, or toes. :) (I gave out extra bedding too lol)

Anyone else?

Had lot of ice today. Had to change out 15 water buckets and bring water out from the house. Grrrrr- I dont mind though. I enjoy doing it.

So we finally got our cold and snow, so I've been out every 2 hours rotating out waterers to make sure everyone is able to get a good drink today.

I also gave everyone an extra corn ration since it's a "warm" food. I normally try not to feed too much corn.

So far everyone is looking good - no cold combs, wattles, or toes. :) (I gave out extra bedding too lol)

Anyone else?

When it's as cold as it was yesterday, my birds aren't let out to free range, so they do cannot have access to ice and snow. I am not sure they can eat enough snow/ice to keep themselves hydrated.

I don't mind the extra work. Gives me something to do and I enjoy the little, albeit cold, visits and chats with my chickens.

Pretty cold this week here in the Northeast, single digit windchills, water was freezing often. Mine were not coming out at all, stayed in coop even with some coaxing. I finally had to move water and some feed in to coop to get them to eat and drink. Water still freezing but not quite as often in coop. Also put down extra thick layer of pine shavings, but they pushed them all out in to the run....?????

I'm not up to date on chicken health issues but I am concerning dogs or other fur bearing animals. It's a well know fact that snow and ice are, no way, sufficent for them to survive. I'd spring for a heated water bowl or a likewise method of watering. I use the heated metal element and put the metal waterer on that, works fine. Minus 12 degrees this am and no frozen water.

Back
Top Bottom