Rotational Grazing with Cows (mobile coop)

RootsieTootsie

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2015
Kentucky {NorthCentral}
Anyone with experience in having chickens follow the rotational grazing pattern behind, or with, livestock?

I'm interested in this method of breaking up the manure and controlling flies, while allowing chickens to be chickens and freely graze. I am considering building a mobile coop (kinda like a tractor - minus the fenced in run) and moving it as the cows & donkey are moved. I would still be locking up the chickens at night, but the only fencing would be the permanent paddocks, unless I need to use portable chicken wire or deer netting and light stakes to keep them from spreading out so much. I am concerned with predators using this method... hawks, coyotes, etc.

Thanks!

My 4 options: Permanent Coop/Run, Permanent Coop & detachable PVC type / light-weight moveable pen for rotational grazing, Chicken Tractor method without cattle, or Mobile Coop in fields with or following behind cattle rotational grazing pattern.

There was an article about this awhile back in mother earth news I think.

The cows were allowed to graze a certain area for a fixed length of time then they were moved to a new location and the chicken tractor was pulled in and parked(not really a chicken tractor so much as a portable chicken coop trailer pulled by a tractor) in the recently vacated grazed land. The chickens would pick through the cow pies and eat all the weeds seeds and bugs/maggots and also break apart and spread out the cow pies. Don't remember how many areas they had to rotate through nor how long they were left in each area. I do remember that the chickens went in after the cattle had already been moved to another location.

Back
Top Bottom