Rotten egg

Joanie1975

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2017
Vidor, Texas
Hi, I have a broody hen sitting on some eggs. On day 15 I found one that was completely open and there was a fully developed chick inside with no feathers. I removed it from the nest and at that time it didn’t smell so I assumed it got broken not exploded. Today is day 20, the nest smells rotten now and I’m worried the rest of my eggs are contaminated. Could this be the case?

i suggest to remove the eggs if they're not fertile and remove the nest too, but if they're fertile then put them in a incubator and wait. scrub down the area the nest was in and make a fresh new one so that mold doesn't grow. hope i helped a little :D

Are these chicken eggs on day 20? If so I would just leave them at this point as if they're viable they will be hatching within next 24 hrs. And, more than likely with being this far along the last day isn't gonna make a difference as far as contamination. If its made it tgru the shell whats done is done. Its really your call tho. I would however try to get a clean spot to transfer mom and babies to. Maybe if you can, put a nest of clean next to her and try to get her to transfer to it once babes are hatched and clear other one out. You could also candle and check if babies are still moving about in eggs and alive and pull any that arent so you have no more bust. You got momma to sit this far I would not bring em inside to incubator at this point I would let her hatch and raise them, but it's really up to how you personally feel about it.

What I would is prepare a clean nest. After dark move mamma and the eggs to the clean nest while sniff testing the eggs. Then when all are moved dispose of the old nest.

I wouldn't want to separate the broody from the chicks after all that work, plus she might not accept chicks if you hatch them away from her and then a couple days later try to reintroduce them. Natural hatched chicks are much more survivable than incubator chicks IMO.

I’m trying, this is only my second hatch. The first was last year in July. I’m just so worried that the bacteria has killed them. On day 18 I moved an egg with twins inside to my incubator so I could watch it since I have read so much about them not making it. I’m just nervous about it

I’m trying, this is only my second hatch. The first was last year in July. I’m just so worried that the bacteria has killed them. On day 18 I moved an egg with twins inside to my incubator so I could watch it since I have read so much about them not making it. I’m just nervous about it
I know, it can be nerve racking...especially when there be stinky going on!
My dog can hear the internal pips before I can, he lets me know when that's happening.

Back
Top Bottom