Rotten eggs?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have a white crested duck who has been sitting on eggs for way too long. I am almost certain her eggs are rotten but she is so broody and dedicated so i am not sure what to do. I feel so bad for her since she has been working so hard for WAY too long. I have pics too, maybe you can tell me for sure. I didn't feel the need to candle the eggs, since they have an odd coloring and the nest smells sour. Thanks for all the help, Avery
IMG_1543.jpeg
IMG_6882.jpeg

Id candle the eggs and probably throw them away if they're no longer alive, candle just in case :) Either she or other ducks will lay more or perhaps she'll stop being broody (if thats what you want) and if you want her to stay broody maybe put some other eggs under her, or fake eggs if you need some time to buy fertile eggs from somewhere?

I am done with her being broody. Plus she has been sitting for about two months, and even if I wanted her to hatch more eggs, i couldn't do that to her. Thanks so much.
Ps, I have another mallard duck who is sitting on eggs. I don't want what happened to this duck to happen to her so I posted a thread about her set up so she can successfully hatch eggs this time. Do you think you could check and give me advice on that too? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mallard-sitting-again.1400089/#post-22975713

Back
Top Bottom