Rotten eggs??

Hoppysmom18

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
My hen went broody a little over two weeks ago. This is our last week. Not exactly sure what day we're on but 3 days ago I candled a few of the eggs and could see babies moving around in there. It took up over half the egg if not more. But this morning I went outside to check for pip holes in the eggs because were getting close to hatching day and its starting to smell bad in the coop. Not horrible but I only smell it once I get close to her nest. Any advice on how to check or should I just wait the last few days and let them hatch and toss the rest out? Pictures attached are from a video of one of the babies moving while I was candling.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20201215-075637.jpg
    VideoCapture_20201215-075637.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 13
  • VideoCapture_20201215-075641.jpg
    VideoCapture_20201215-075641.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 5
With her being so close to hatching isn't it bad to pick the eggs up? And I know its not all the eggs. I can see the babies moving in some but I also haven't checked all the eggs yet because she looses it when I mess with her too long. For like 2 or 3 minutes she's fine and kinda just talks to me but when I'm there longer than that she starts screaming. I haven't noticed any broken eggs. Or could she just smell bad? I'm honestly clueless. Just know the smell is getting stronger each day

With her being so close to hatching isn't it bad to pick the eggs up? And I know its not all the eggs. I can see the babies moving in some but I also haven't checked all the eggs yet because she looses it when I mess with her too long. For like 2 or 3 minutes she's fine and kinda just talks to me but when I'm there longer than that she starts screaming. I haven't noticed any broken eggs. Or could she just smell bad? I'm honestly clueless. Just know the smell is getting stronger each day
No it's not bad. Not recommended though. I don't candle as much as I should, and for both of my last two broody hatches, I did the sniff test on each egg every 2-3 days up until the day prior to hatching.

Last edited:
.. better than one popping right at hatch time and completely contaminating the nest area .. i'd just sneak them out after dark maybe and candle them if your unsure, just dont scare anybody with the flashlight and shadows so careful with that .. any you can see stuff just rolling back and forth in are rotten ..

No it's not bad. Not recommended though. I don't candle as much as I should, and for both of my last two broody hatches, I did the sniff test on each egg every 2-3 days up until the day prior to hatching.
I'm not even sure what day shes supposed to be hatching as I'm not exactly sure what day she started laying on them. I know she's definitely in her last week. I've seen a few babies moving around in them but the eggs were sitting still. And I've only seen her off the eggs once since she went broody. It wasn't long at all. Enough to get some water and walk out of the coop and right back in. But she's laying on 17 eggs. (10 sebright eggs and 7 of her own) it takes two, sometimes 3 of the sebright eggs to make up one of her eggs because they are so small. Shes a splash maran herself. And she laid another egg like the second or third day she went broody, her eggs are normally brown with small speckles all over but the tip of this one was orange and the rest of the egg was normal. Could that possibly be my rotten egg?

I’m sorry to agree but you’re going to have to sniff and mark each one. Just be gentle and lay them back in exactly the same postion. Don’t tilt or jostle. Good luck!

Also, broody poops smell horrible so I’m sure you know it’s eggs and not that but if you didn’t already know - they stink.

Back
Top Bottom