Rotten toe? Tip of toe is falling off

TreesAndBrees

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Miami, AZ
Hi there,

It seems one of my Jungle Fowl has a toe problem. It looks like the tip of the toe never grew with the rest of the toe. The tip is greyish brown and falling off, it almost looks rotted. I think the nail already fell off (or something fell off when I picked her up), and the rest of the toe is swollen.

Does anyone know what causes this? Is there anything I can do at this point? She is walking pretty well, but has a very slight limp in her step. She is about 4 weeks old. Thanks for any insight!

If they get mud balls on their toes when they are little it encases the toe like concrete and the toe cannot grow. Mud balls can be from stepping in the waterer and then stepping in the feed.

Just an idea. I don't know what caused the problem for your little pullet.

They usually stop having the mud balls form on the toes at 3 weeks of age from my experience. This year was particularly bad for them for me. I have had to wash feet I don't know how many times!!

I don't ever remember a year like this one.

I have a bantam with feet and leg issues. I thought it was mites. Then thought it might be bumble feet or maybe both. He also has black places inside his beak. I am so scared. He has been so nice through all the examining and washing. It is bad. I can't believe I just today saw it because it looks like its been going on a while.The feet are scabby and rough. The legs are too. It looks like sorry this is gross but its the only things i have ever seen like it. It looks like crumbled up pork rins. (Fryed pig skin)

I have a bantam with feet and leg issues. I thought it was mites. Then thought it might be bumble feet or maybe both. He also has black places inside his beak. I am so scared. He has been so nice through all the examining and washing. It is bad. I can't believe I just today saw it because it looks like its been going on a while.The feet are scabby and rough. The legs are too. It looks like sorry this is gross but its the only things i have ever seen like it. It looks like crumbled up pork rins. (Fryed pig skin)
OK for scaly leg mites what you need to do is dip each leg daily in mineral or vegetable oil. This smothers the mites. It needs to be done for 2 weeks (you can go to every other day after awhile) due to the life cycle of the mites.

This can cause amputations and it vital to treat.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/33903/scaly-leg-mites-need-best-easiest-quickest-solution-scaley

Last edited:
I think your little pullet may have suffered frostbite. I just posted a pic of my 1 year old EE roo that has no toenails left on one of his feet and the ends of his toes look like your pullet's toe. It looks to me that she has already lost the toenail, and the black part that is left is part of her toe. It will probably fall off too. At this point, the wound has almost healed itself and she probably isn't in pain since she's walking and acting normally.

I think your little pullet may have suffered frostbite. I just posted a pic of my 1 year old EE roo that has no toenails left on one of his feet and the ends of his toes look like your pullet's toe. It looks to me that she has already lost the toenail, and the black part that is left is part of her toe. It will probably fall off too. At this point, the wound has almost healed itself and she probably isn't in pain since she's walking and acting normally.
I agree with frostbite. Keep some Blukote or iodine on it.

I can't think it would be frostbite, as it hasn't dropped lower than the 50s at night, and I always have their 250 watt bulb on. The mudballs seem more likely, I will keep a better eye out for those! Thanks for the replies!

I can't think it would be frostbite, as it hasn't dropped lower than the 50s at night, and I always have their 250 watt bulb on. The mudballs seem more likely, I will keep a better eye out for those! Thanks for the replies!
Another possibility is that she got her toe under something that smashed it, or she injured the nail on a fence like one of my girls did.

Back
Top Bottom