Rouen Duck thread

Pics
Need help My 7 ducks all came out of the same flock of 30 to 40 ducks. Yesterday they were fine. Today the 2 drakes started fighting. One is this years hatch they other is last years hatch. The older on is getting the worst of it.
Will Rouen's fight to death? Anyone have advise? I have the young one in a dog kennel tonight.

how should i get my march babies to lay i want to incubate them but they have not layed yet can you all help

They should be laying by now if they were born in March. Are they hiding the eggs where you can't find them? What do you feed them?

Last edited:
Need help My 7 ducks all came out of the same flock of 30 to 40 ducks. Yesterday they were fine. Today the 2 drakes started fighting. One is this years hatch they other is last years hatch. The older on is getting the worst of it.
Will Rouen's fight to death? Anyone have advise? I have the young one in a dog kennel tonight.

Maybe there was a disagreement between the two boys. Yes some ducks will fight to the death. Good some separation will do good. Hopefully being away from the flock will lower the younger ones flock status.

They will be separated today, tomorrow I can watch them closer, observe and rescue if needed. I don't have or want a 2nd pen. I hope they work it out.

They should work it out. It was probably just the younger drake testing the older drake to see if he could outrank him or something.

This is our first winter with our two ducks, 1 male, 1 female. They were hatched around Labor Day, we got them at three weeks. Just before Thanksgiving the female started laying eggs. She laid on the first egg one night. Over the next 10 days she laid a total of seven eggs. I never saw her on any of them. She quit laying, then yesterday there was one egg in the middle of the coop. Today I went to clean up the straw in the coop. Found the one I saw yesterday, another buried under straw in the corner of the coop and a third outside under the coop. All were frozen, temps have been 15 or less.
Should I be concerned that she is laying eggs this time of year? Not sure if I can do anything about it. Will this throw her "cycle" off and she won't lay in the spring?

Last edited:
No, should not make any difference to her Spring laying. She's just maturing, her body will come into its own rhythm. Or you're very lucky and will get eggs all winter! :) I have 8 ducks here, 1 egg today and none yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom