Rouen Duck thread

Pics
Most of my male rouens are like bi

It really wierd they mate with a girl if they had a chance ( but they don't my girls died ) so they like pin down mallard females

But then they'll mate with each other if nothing else is around .

I know it's not funny.... But I had to reread this a few times because I was laughing to hard then I saw the " it's disturbing " post after and the laughing started up again

Well I feel a whole lot better for keeping one Drake and three Ducks instead of an all Drake flock, which was my other option last year...

ep.gif

I wish I could have gotten this on video but it happened in seconds. A wild mallard landed next to our pond. He barely touched ground when Wade (our rouen) was on the poor unsuspecting mallard. They fought for a couple seconds and the Mallard took off. I finally got my wish of seeing our rouen next to a mallard to compare size. Wade's about 1-1/2 times the size of a mallard. I can only guess his attack on the mallard was to protect Waddles, who is laying on her eggs.

He was probably defending his territory. Any time other males are introduced to an already established flock the males will fight to establish dominance. Also if his lady is sitting on eggs that may be why also. Some drakes don't care if there lady(s) is sitting on eggs while on the other hand some do and will attack anything they perceive as a threat.

It really wierd they mate with a girl if they had a chance ( but they don't my girls died ) so they like pin down mallard females

The reason they are mating with each other is because they have no females around and are well frustrated to say the least. Since they at one time had ladies around and were able to mate with them they are looking for that now even though the females are gone. And because there is no more females to satisfy their urges they look to each other. Sometimes it might be a dominance thing and others well that's a different story. If you were to get females again then they would no longer mate with each other.

I wish I could have gotten this on video but it happened in seconds. A wild mallard landed next to our pond. He barely touched ground when Wade (our rouen) was on the poor unsuspecting mallard. They fought for a couple seconds and the Mallard took off. I finally got my wish of seeing our rouen next to a mallard to compare size. Wade's about 1-1/2 times the size of a mallard. I can only guess his attack on the mallard was to protect Waddles, who is laying on her eggs.

He was probably defending his territory. Any time other males are introduced to an already established flock the males will fight to establish dominance. Also if his lady is sitting on eggs that may be why also. Some drakes don't care if there lady(s) is sitting on eggs while on the other hand some do and will attack anything they perceive as a threat.

The reason they are mating with each other is because they have no females around and are well frustrated to say the least. Since they at one time had ladies around and were able to mate with them they are looking for that now even though the females are gone. And because there is no more females to satisfy their urges they look to each other. Sometimes it might be a dominance thing and others well that's a different story. If you were to get females again then they would no longer mate with each other.

I know you didn't have to explain
1f61b.png
1f61d.png
1f61c.png
1f60b.png

I'm getting some tomarrow

They are surrounded by cows here...just foraging away with them.

got 24 eggs in the bator, hopefully will have baby Rouens coming!

Back
Top Bottom