Rouen Duck thread

Pics

I have 2 adult rouens? This new baby is their baby. Hopefully 2 more will shortly follow this baby.

Rouens can only fly at most 100 yds b/c they are too heavy. They will not fly away. They don't roost but stay on the ground at night and are very vulnerable to predators if not penned safely at night. They are also a tight knit group and much more flock oriented than chickens. Congratulations, beautiful ducks.

I feel much better now! I have a pen for them at night, so they will be safe. I just wanted to be able to make them a little pond and let them play during the day. I just didn't want to get attached (too late..lol) and them fly off and be gone.
Thank you for the help!

If they are indeed Rouen ducks, they won't be able to fly away. Theyre too heavy to fly - mine gets about 3 feet in the air before she comes down again.
X2 But if they are mallards they will be able to fly. My mallard is a great flyer but he always comes straight back. My other mallard, well he isn't mine anymore beacuse he did fly away. But if they are for sure rouens you should have nothing to worry about. Mine can barely even get 3 feetoff the ground.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with your "Rouen" Duck because this is a runner duck for sure. I have a couple of them. That's why it stands so funny. I'm not sure about the walking part unless it's walking on them boards in the pictures all the time that might be the issue. But this is a Runner duck for sure and it's supposed to stand like up like that.
hahaha......no.....I just put him there for the pics. lol

Do runner ducks sit more than the others? He's eating and getting along, but that one sits down asap, and sometime is the only one sitting. I don't know how it got in the rouen bin unless because it was black.

I was going to bring them to my pond when they got older, but was concerned he might be in danger.....literally..."a sitting duck"

The dark one I am not sure if he is a Rouen or mallard. The store said they don't get mallards unless they special order them for people. He assured me that it's a Rouen. But again, only time will tell! Yellow ducky is starting to sound different already at just two weeks old. She is getting a quack/honk. I think she is a girl. We'll see in a few more weeks!
The dark one is a deff Rouen because the bottom stripe is only slightly broken up. Although Rouens normally have 2 eye stripes they can have 1 solid line and one that is broken up.
I got them both from a local store called JS West. Im not sure if there's other stores or just this one. She stood very tall when I got her. I purposely chose one that looked like a runner
smile.png
I went back through and looked at the pictures and I'm thinking it might be a Runner. I went through my runner's baby pics and they had stripes on there eyes too.

Back
Top Bottom