Rouen Duck thread

Well all the others seem very well, so that's a plus. And my chicken marshmallow is sitting on 10 lovely eggs expected in two weeks, also a plus. As for my poor little Rouen duck she has a great spot in the shade near water...
Thank you guys

1 drake per 3-4 ducks, as a general rule. Of course, it depends on the drake. A very mild drake can be ok with 2 ducks, but another general rule is the more drakes in a flock, the higher chances of trouble down the road.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I have 2 rouens 10 weeks old. From day 1 they have enjoyed swimming. First in the bathtub then an inflatable pool then my 2000 gallon pond I have been renovating. Now the pond is done and they want nothing to do with it
If I put them in they immediately scamper to the side and get out
Any thoughts?

I have 2 rouens 10 weeks old. From day 1 they have enjoyed swimming. First in the bathtub then an inflatable pool then my 2000 gallon pond I have been renovating. Now the pond is done and they want nothing to do with it
If I put them in they immediately scamper to the side and get out
Any thoughts?
Whoa down on just putting them into the swim pond. Ducks can be quite conservative around things that could harbor predators. And a large enough body of water could hold predators (think like an adolescent duck with me, here).

I suggest letting them scope it out thoroughly, toss some peas or floating treats in there. What I have found is that new things are avoided until the bravest duck tries it out and does not die. Then everyone else warms up to the idea pretty quickly. But if they associate being grabbed with the new swim area, I think the likelihood of them enjoying it decrease quite a bit.

1 drake per 3-4 ducks, as a general rule. Of course, it depends on the drake. A very mild drake can be ok with 2 ducks, but another general rule is the more drakes in a flock, the higher chances of trouble down the road.

Edited for spelling

Never followed this rule, it's right though , I instead had 1 female for 3 drakes that way it's a mixed clutch of half brothers and sisters .

Back
Top Bottom