Rouen Duck thread

He does spend a lot of time in doors . He always wants to be around the dog

You know what? If I was a defenseless treat for predators I would hang out around that dog too!
yesss.gif

Hello Rouen enthusiasts,
Got a pair of Rouens from my neighbor as a gift (I do have the best neighbors!) one male and one female. They are about 8 or 9 weeks I think. Last night, a 5 foot boa constrictor tunneled out some sand under the wall of the duck house and strangled one of them. He was mid swallow when my husband found them this morning and promptly dispatched him. Sadly it was too late for my little duckling. The surviving duckling was running around frantically looking for the mate all morning. I was devastated. Snakes are a real problem here and I'm always so careful but I did not realize they could burrow to get in.

I went to my neighbors in hopes that there would be others from that hatch available to replace it's mate. Luckily there were two left and she preferred that I take them both, so as to not leave the single at her house. Now the problem is that I think I have 2 drakes and 1 duck. Am I correct or the other way around?

If I indeed have two drakes is there any harm in that or at some point will I need to remove one of them? I'm not going to worry about it now but I can keep it in mind for the future.

Also, my husband dug down 6 inches around the house and filled the gaps with big rocks and pieces of 4 x 4 inch posts. I just set a hen on 14 turkey eggs in there and I'm not going have this happen again! Next week my neighbor is going to try to find me a pair of guinea fowl. I've heard that they are good alarms for snakes. I have my geese to warn against people, dogs, and hawks and I'll have turkeys and guineas to warn against the snakes. Wish me luck. (there are a lot of snakes here)

Thank you for your help!
Iron Eagle

Hello Rouen enthusiasts, Got a pair of Rouens from my neighbor as a gift (I do have the best neighbors!) one male and one female. They are about 8 or 9 weeks I think. Last night, a 5 foot boa constrictor tunneled out some sand under the wall of the duck house and strangled one of them. He was mid swallow when my husband found them this morning and promptly dispatched him. Sadly it was too late for my little duckling. The surviving duckling was running around frantically looking for the mate all morning. I was devastated. Snakes are a real problem here and I'm always so careful but I did not realize they could burrow to get in. I went to my neighbors in hopes that there would be others from that hatch available to replace it's mate. Luckily there were two left and she preferred that I take them both, so as to not leave the single at her house. Now the problem is that I think I have 2 drakes and 1 duck. Am I correct or the other way around? If I indeed have two drakes is there any harm in that or at some point will I need to remove one of them? I'm not going to worry about it now but I can keep it in mind for the future. Also, my husband dug down 6 inches around the house and filled the gaps with big rocks and pieces of 4 x 4 inch posts. I just set a hen on 14 turkey eggs in there and I'm not going have this happen again! Next week my neighbor is going to try to find me a pair of guinea fowl. I've heard that they are good alarms for snakes. I have my geese to warn against people, dogs, and hawks and I'll have turkeys and guineas to warn against the snakes. Wish me luck. (there are a lot of snakes here) Thank you for your help! Iron Eagle
Muscovy ducks are good at keeping little snakes out and I have seen mine eat a baby snake or two. Males also can help with rodent control there are stories of male muscovies eating mice tat wondered into the pen so I would look into getting some of those for some snake control

Last edited:
Muscovy ducks are good at keeping little snakes out and I have seen mine eat a baby snake or two. Males also can help with rodent control there are stories of male muscovies eating mice tat wondered into the pen so I would look into getting some of those for some snake control
Thank you for that suggestion. I will keep a look out for a pair of Muscovy's as well. Unfortunately since I live in Mexico it's harder to locate particular breeds. Like for instance, I asked around for a pair of Embden geese and ended up with a Pilgrim pair. Similar, yes, but the pilgrim pair did not solve my original problem as I still have a single male Embden! For now I am really hoping that these guinea's really do turn up and I'll start looking for Muskovy's just in case as well.

The snakes here are insane. Good thing I'm not afraid of them and even better that they are not poisonous. We lost two chickens to them last year and vowed not to loose any this year. I guess it says something that we made it all the way to December but hopefully this is not a bad omen for 2016!

Thanks again!
IE

Thank you for that suggestion. I will keep a look out for a pair of Muscovy's as well. Unfortunately since I live in Mexico it's harder to locate particular breeds. Like for instance, I asked around for a pair of Embden geese and ended up with a Pilgrim pair. Similar, yes, but the pilgrim pair did not solve my original problem as I still have a single male Embden! For now I am really hoping that these guinea's really do turn up and I'll start looking for Muskovy's just in case as well.

The snakes here are insane. Good thing I'm not afraid of them and even better that they are not poisonous. We lost two chickens to them last year and vowed not to loose any this year. I guess it says something that we made it all the way to December but hopefully this is not a bad omen for 2016!

Thanks again!
IE
This had to be a pretty big snake? My Muscovy's will eat small snakes but they are scared of large ones. We have 6' and under blk snakes here and they want no part of them.Okay I see you said 5' well I don't think Muscovy's will be any good and they don't make much noise so they aren't going to do any alerting I think Guineas are your best bet, but then again not sure how much help they will be at night.Might want to go to the Guinea thread and ask about that.

Last edited:
This had to be a pretty big snake? My Muscovy's will eat small snakes but they are scared of large ones. We have 6' and under blk snakes here and they want no part of them.Okay I see you said 5' well I don't think Muscovy's will be any good and they don't make much noise so they aren't going to do any alerting I think Guineas are your best bet, but then again not sure how much help they will be at night.Might want to go to the Guinea thread and ask about that.
Thank you Miss Lydia you are always so helpful! I just posted in the Guinea forum and hopefully I'll get an idea if they can help. Yes, the snakes we have had here have been really big with the largest around 12 feet. I really just need a loud alarm so I can get to them before they get a hold of one of the birds or into the hen house.

Good thing I'm not afraid of snakes! (well, we have tarantulas and scorpions here too so I guess where I live is not for the faint of heart!)

Have a great night!
IE

Thank you Miss Lydia you are always so helpful! I just posted in the Guinea forum and hopefully I'll get an idea if they can help. Yes, the snakes we have had here have been really big with the largest around 12 feet. I really just need a loud alarm so I can get to them before they get a hold of one of the birds or into the hen house.

Good thing I'm not afraid of snakes! (well, we have tarantulas and scorpions here too so I guess where I live is not for the faint of heart!)

Have a great night!
IE
I forgot to tell you I am sorry about your duckling, I know preds need to eat I just wish they'd go after any thing but our birds. I think your going in the right direction by making your coops safe from them and placing obstacles i n the way so the snakes can't burro under. You might find some info on the Predator and prey thread too

Back
Top Bottom