Rouen Duck thread

I have three rouens and I also go to ponds to feed mallards all the time with my daughter. You will never convince me a bird that is unable to fly is as active as one that flies well and a lot. Or that a free ranged bird needs as larg of a pen as a not free ranged one. So how about we just leave it at that.

.... Whatever.

I just wanted a bigger area because their coop takes up a lot of room in the 5 x 15' enclosure (with chicken wire on top), the coop is about 3 x 5' and then there's the pool which is 3' round so they don't have a lot of space to run around (though i don't know how much space each duck needs). I may be putting my human feelings about space onto my ducks, but I just want them to be healthy and happy. I was wondering if folks here would be willing to post pictures of their set ups so I can get a better idea of what's best for my ducks. (I'm used to raising rabbits, chickens and quail, but ducks are so new to me). This is my set up here:

PS. I can't thank you all enough for your information!! This is the best site ever!!!!!!!

I just wanted a bigger area because their coop takes up a lot of room in the 5 x 15' enclosure (with chicken wire on top), the coop is about 3 x 5' and then there's the pool which is 3' round so they don't have a lot of space to run around (though i don't know how much space each duck needs). I may be putting my human feelings about space onto my ducks, but I just want them to be healthy and happy. I was wondering if folks here would be willing to post pictures of their set ups so I can get a better idea of what's best for my ducks. (I'm used to raising rabbits, chickens and quail, but ducks are so new to me). This is my set up here:

PS. I can't thank you all enough for your information!! This is the best site ever!!!!!!!
Nice set up! What kind of ducks do you have?

Well, I'm not completely sure. One of my girls is a Mallard because she recently flew the coop, literally!! I let them out to roam the back yard and she flew about 100' away at about 30' altitude. I was lucky to herd her back into the covered area where she (now named Amelia Duckhart) and my other three ducks (2 males, 1 female) are living again.

Well, I'm not completely sure. One of my girls is a Mallard because she recently flew the coop, literally!! I let them out to roam the back yard and she flew about 100' away at about 30' altitude. I was lucky to herd her back into the covered area where she (now named Amelia Duckhart) and my other three ducks (2 males, 1 female) are living again.
Okay wow! My Mallards fly out of their pen only if I am outside. Which is good becuase I don't the flying out when I am not around!
big_smile.png

That's very interesting because I was at my vegetable garden where she flew to. I spoke to someone at the feed store where I bought the chicks and she said because of the giant lakes around my house and the multitude of wild ducks, if my ducks see a flock flying overhead, mine will be very likely to join them and I might never see them again. So, I don't want to take a chance. I'm thinking of taking out the coop and seeing what other people have set up for their ducks to lay eggs in.

That's very interesting because I was at my vegetable garden where she flew to. I spoke to someone at the feed store where I bought the chicks and she said because of the giant lakes around my house and the multitude of wild ducks, if my ducks see a flock flying overhead, mine will be very likely to join them and I might never see them again. So, I don't want to take a chance. I'm thinking of taking out the coop and seeing what other people have set up for their ducks to lay eggs in.

Why not just clip their wings?

I have no idea how to clip a duck's wings. However, I just watched this video and it doesn't seem too hard. But how often will they regrow making you have to recheck and reclip? Yikes. Do you do this? Here's an adorable video on duck wing clipping I just found https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=h...gs+videos&fr=yset_chr_syc_oracle&type=default

None of my ducks fly but I use YouTube for everything lol. If I had to id YouTube a ton of videos until I felt like I could it it haha. :) cute video. :)

Glad i found this thread. I bought 3 ducks at the local feed 12 weeks ago. I was told they were Ruoens. I thought the duck with the yellower bill was male and the 2 with olive bills were female. I also thought they couldn't fly. Well, it appears they can. The smaller (supposedly male) has flown out of the yard a couple of times now. He comes right back. I guess, because his buddies are here. I also read that the drake didn't quack. This guy does and the other 2 (supposed to be female) don't. The quiet ones are figuring out how to fly also but they don't get near the height of the other one...So I guess I have 3 Mallards, 1 female and 2 males. Or have have 3 very confused ducks.I will try to add a pic to this post. Maybe someone can tell me one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom