Rouen Ducks

I have two female Rouens. I've found them to be quite, consistent layers, and skittish. The skittishness might be from the way they were raised before I got them. They were adults, and in a large pen with a bunch of other ducks and chickens that had very little human interaction. I wouldnt recommend the exhibition type, as they are ungainly and prone to injury, at least in my experience. Both of my Rouens went broody last summer, the exhibition duck was a wonderful mother (except the times she stumbled onto her ducklings). The production strain Rouen duck was a great broody but a wretched mother, leaving her ducklings out in the rain while she tried getting to the drakes in the other pen.
Both Rouens were introduced into an established trio, and quickly settled in without to much hoopla. The only odd thing is both ducks do not like to spend time in the pool. I cant get them in for love or money. Not sure if it is a breed thing, or that they spent a good chunk of life without access to a swimming area.
All in all, I would recommend them if you want reliable egg layers, that tend to role with the punches.

I have two female Rouens. I've found them to be quite, consistent layers, and skittish. The skittishness might be from the way they were raised before I got them. They were adults, and in a large pen with a bunch of other ducks and chickens that had very little human interaction. I wouldnt recommend the exhibition type, as they are ungainly and prone to injury, at least in my experience. Both of my Rouens went broody last summer, the exhibition duck was a wonderful mother (except the times she stumbled onto her ducklings). The production strain Rouen duck was a great broody but a wretched mother, leaving her ducklings out in the rain while she tried getting to the drakes in the other pen.
Both Rouens were introduced into an established trio, and quickly settled in without to much hoopla. The only odd thing is both ducks do not like to spend time in the pool. I cant get them in for love or money. Not sure if it is a breed thing, or that they spent a good chunk of life without access to a swimming area.
All in all, I would recommend them if you want reliable egg layers, that tend to role with the punches.
Mine loved the water.

Back
Top Bottom