Rouen eggs

Megwylie25

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2024
I have some Rouen ducks that are of age of laying now (10 months) yesterday I found two eggs in random open spots. How long do I wait to put them in the incubator? I have them in an egg carton in a dark place right now. I turned the incubator on yesterday while I let the eggs sit. Since I didn’t know how old the eggs are I candled them and didn’t see any blood vessels yet. To me it looked like they were trying to move the eggs because there were scraps and scratches on them like they were trying to pick them up.

Okay good. I have an incubator that rotators them multiple times a day(I have used it for my chicken eggs) do I need to take that out and just rotate them myself?

you said you have Rouen ducks that just started laying? I wouldnt try to hatch the first few eggs, give them a few weeks of laying regularly then maybe collect some. and oh this may be a silly question but you do have at least one drake? so the eggs might be fertile? Have you seen them mating yet?

Okay, I have three drakes and two hens. They stay at my pond near the house and come up when to be fed every morning. I haven’t seen them try to mate the females just yet.

Okay, I have three drakes and two hens. They stay at my pond near the house and come up when to be fed every morning. I haven’t seen them try to mate the females just yet.
Might want to consider re-homing two of your drakes, or getting some more hens, before they start mating - that is a very bad ratio. The drakes can and will over-mate your two hens and likely get them killed. The recommended ratio is 1 drake to around 4-5 hens, give or take a few hens depending on your drake’s temperament.
I have an incubator that rotators them multiple times a day(I have used it for my chicken eggs) do I need to take that out and just rotate them myself?
No, you can use the auto-turner if you’d like. I believe sourland meant to turn / move them daily while the eggs are being stored.

Might want to consider re-homing two of your drakes, or getting some more hens, before they start mating - that is a very bad ratio. The drakes can and will over-mate your two hens and likely get them killed. The recommended ratio is 1 drake to around 4-5 hens, give or take a few hens depending on your drake’s temperament.
Yes please heed this warning that is exactly what happened to @Shabby Chic-Hens girl duck :hit

Back
Top Bottom