Rouen Hen turning into a Drake?

Kackley33

Chirping
10 Years
May 27, 2009
I have six ducks, 5 are Rouen and 1 is a Cayuga. I have one drake (a Rouen), the rest are hens. They are all between 6 and 8 years old. One of the Rouen hens has started to look increasingly like a drake. Her head is turning green. She now has a distinct white collar/stripe around her neck. She has the start of a curly tail feather and more of her other feathers are turning into the distinctive grey feathering that Rouen drakes have. It is the weirdest thing. She's 8 and hatched out four ducklings 6 years ago. I read somewhere that ducks can indeed change sex though it is very rare. At the very least, she is definitely changing her feathering to look more like a drake. Just curious is anyone else has seen this?
2018-03-23_14.21.58.jpg

Had no idea ducks could o this as well.Chickens do it,but it’s much more common to what about them a duck.

I have six ducks, 5 are Rouen and 1 is a Cayuga. I have one drake (a Rouen), the rest are hens. They are all between 6 and 8 years old. One of the Rouen hens has started to look increasingly like a drake. Her head is turning green. She now has a distinct white collar/stripe around her neck. She has the start of a curly tail feather and more of her other feathers are turning into the distinctive grey feathering that Rouen drakes have. It is the weirdest thing. She's 8 and hatched out four ducklings 6 years ago. I read somewhere that ducks can indeed change sex though it is very rare. At the very least, she is definitely changing her feathering to look more like a drake. Just curious is anyone else has seen this? View attachment 1309199
She's very cute and round.

I am not sure. All my flock have really slowed down laying since the weather turned up here in WI. She has always been the one who thought she needed to protect her sisters. She is not trying to mate with any of my chickens or changed her behaviors towards me or her sisters.

Back
Top Bottom