1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rouen projects??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roocrazy, Aug 30, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    anybody working on a different color of rouens, like snowy, nutmeg, white?? [​IMG]

2. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    anyone?

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    How do you do that? Wouldnt that cause inbreeding?

4. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:thats how a lot of breeds are made, cross breeding and then perfecting. nutmeg no. the others maybe.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Most likely cross breeding.

The hatchery Rouens are already mutts and look nothing like a Rouen, so no harm done there. It's not going to result in a Rouen, though.

Purebred Rouens are pretty rare and you aren't going to get one from a hatchery.

6. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I have been working on a Blue Mallard rouen, Nothing too serious, just doing it for the fun [​IMG]

7. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Rouens and Golden Cascades....now I even have Rouen/Golden Cascade babies. ~Sooooo I have GOLDEN ROUENS~ hummm.... now if I could just get them to lay "GOLDEN EGGS". lmao }}}}On a serious note.. Is that what is meant by a mutt, a mix of two different types /breeds of ducks? ~Julie~

8. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:actually my "rouens" are from a hatchery and the only thing they fault is they are a tish small and their keel is not as "draped"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by