Rouen questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by catlvr976, Feb 28, 2013.

1. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Hello everyone. I am still learning about ducks. I have a male/female pair of Rouens, they hatched around very end of July 2012. I saw them the other day mating for the first time. They are the cutest things though, we just love how they follow each other around and call to each other.

Is there any chance that she might hatch eggs when she does start laying (she has not yet)? I guess my other question is, what color eggs will she lay?

Thanks!

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I have 3 Rouen ducks and a Rouen drake that were hatched April 30 and I found my first egg laid in the duck house last wednesday. It is almost white in color, I read that there is a 30% chance of a blue egg but so far just white! Not sure who is laying...don't think all 3 are yet. None of them shows any interest in setting the eggs yet so we are just eating them until someone goes broody.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I only have girls but I find that if I leave some eggs for them in their outside nest, the rouens sit on them more than the other ducks. The eggs have all been whitish.

4. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    ok this is probably a really dumb question, bc it probably means nothing, but earlier today, I went outside and I saw Pansy (our girl) had dug this hole where my garden was last year, and was just sitting there, and her man was just standing there by her. Still no eggs, though!

I guess my question was, what was she doing??

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Practicing?

6. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    It's official! All 3 of my Rouen ducks are laying and...I have 2 white egg layers and 1 green egg layer! BIG green egg-love it!

7. RileyB

RileyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    NH
    I have a male rouen and a female runner (I also just got two ducklings...one female rouen and another female runner but obviously they're not laying yet). My runner duck hides eggs ALL over the place. She buries them in shavings, hides them under things in the barn, etc. It sounds like your rouen is trying to do something similar.

8. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    My Rouens have been laying for some time now (I wish I had a green egg layer) anyway - I heard they tend to crush the eggs if allowed to hatch their own.
    So I incubated - I now have 3 young ducks running around [​IMG] wow do they grow fast!

My question is this - when will I know the sex - they all look female right now - hatched Feb 19th, 21st and 22nd (about 6 weeks old).
    If any of them are drakes - will their feather colors change with maturity?

9. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    The fastest way to me to know the sex is usually by their quack, but yes, Rouen drake feathers will change and eventually they will get the curled drake feathers at the end of their tail.

10. sassyiniowa

sassyiniowa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Pacific Junction, IA
    I am the proud new owner of two rouen ducklings! I am so thankful for this sight but appreciate your posting most of all right now. Had no idea how to tell if I had females before this. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by