Rough Day as a quail owner. šŸ˜„

Feb 17, 2021
We came home from a day trip today and found that one cage had a male that was completely scalped by another male.... a 2nd cage that a male had it's eyes pecked out by another male.... and then as we tried to sort things out one male flew away and we never found him.

They turned 6 weeks today and we were planning on separating the extra males out tomorrow.

We culled the one with his eyes pecked out but we're hoping to save the scalped one. (Because he's my favorite). So ultimately we lost 2 of our "extra" males.

I am really worried that the 2 males left (in seperate cages -each with at least 4 hens) will be aggressive to my hens tonight.

Are they always that aggressive? These are our first quail.

Sorry to hear about your boys, itā€™s always good to have ā€œbackupā€ males. Yes, quail are definitely this aggressive, and this is the age when it starts. You may find that certain hens are capable of this as well.
The bald one will grow his skin and feathers back. Even birds stripped to the skull have made recoveries, theyā€™re very hardy. Protein treats and keeping the wound as clean as possible is my advice. I hope he recovers quickly!

While there is a possibility that your remaining boys will be rough with the girls, it is far less likely than the level of violence you get when you have boys competing for the girls.

Your scalped boy should be fine. Get him cleaned up, bring him inside and keep him warm. If you have some Blue-cote, give the would a spray (try to keep it out of his eyes). In a couple of days it should be scabbed over enough that he can be reintroduced to his hens.

While there is a possibility that your remaining boys will be rough with the girls, it is far less likely than the level of violence you get when you have boys competing for the girls.

Your scalped boy should be fine. Get him cleaned up, bring him inside and keep him warm. If you have some Blue-cote, give the would a spray (try to keep it out of his eyes). In a couple of days it should be scabbed over enough that he can be reintroduced to his hens.
Thank you. I don't have blu Kote but I ordered some (and I'm going to drive around tomorrow to try to find some locally). I moved him inside and put some neosporin on it until I get something better. He hasn't eaten or drank since I moved him, but I'll watch him.

Should I put a heat table in with him? Or is being inside my house heat enough?

Sorry to hear about your boys, itā€™s always good to have ā€œbackupā€ males. Yes, quail are definitely this aggressive, and this is the age when it starts. You may find that certain hens are capable of this as well.
The bald one will grow his skin and feathers back. Even birds stripped to the skull have made recoveries, theyā€™re very hardy. Protein treats and keeping the wound as clean as possible is my advice. I hope he recovers quickly!
Thank you! I'm glad the scalped one might make it. He's my favorite one. He's a nice boy.

I've had many a scalped bird, by other birds or raccoons, or feral cats. I didn't try to treat any of them...they recovered fairly quickly without intervention, other than separating them from the rest of the flock. I don't recommend my method but that's just the way I handle scalped birds.

I have no idea, but I wanted to share my condolences. So sorry for the loss of your two quail.

if you are scared, is there any way you can separate the two boys from each other and from the hens?
Thank you. I have the males seperated from all other males. They seem to have calmed down.
I appreciate the support šŸ™ā¤šŸ™Œ

Thank you. I don't have blu Kote but I ordered some (and I'm going to drive around tomorrow to try to find some locally). I moved him inside and put some neosporin on it until I get something better. He hasn't eaten or drank since I moved him, but I'll watch him.

Should I put a heat table in with him? Or is being inside my house heat enough?
Indoors is plenty warm. Depending on how bad it is the neosporin might be sufficient, I typically donā€™t treat my birds either just separate them for a little while. I donā€™t know how severely yours is scalped, though.

Back
Top Bottom