Rough eggs

15shenyl

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 14, 2012
Yakima Washington
When I go out to collect the eggs, I notice some of the shells are rough, feels like sand paper. What does this mean, anyone know? Does it affect anything?

Diseases, Disturbances at the time a hen is due to lay can cause the egg to be held over for another day, Incorrect or changes in lighting programme, Water shortages.... see this

Shell Defects

Sandpaper or rough shells

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/17/sandpaper-or-rough-shells

smile.png
and hello!

Thanks, I think it's because they just started laying and the lighting is changing because of day light savings time is almost here.
And hello back to you!:D

Last edited:
That's interesting, I know a lot about eggs now!:D thanks! When I was reading about the dubble yoked eggs and reminded me several I got. Three had two yokes, one had three, and one had four! They were very small yokes, but it was exciting to see them.

Ok, now I have a new egg problem. I just went out to collect eggs and I see two on the ground under the roost. I see there cracked open. I go to pick them up and see they have a paper thin shell. Why does this keep happening!? I don't know what's wrong. Can anyone tell me what's wrong.
(I try to look at the web sites posted above but it won't let me open them now)

Back
Top Bottom