Rough, large bumps on eggs

Omelette

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
One hen has consistently laid eggs that look like this for almost a year.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

She is otherwise healthy.

Thanks!

2862_photo.jpg

personally im saying its just a little excess calcium, we get almost the same thing from one of our DOM's on every egg she lays, while ours are smaller and more spread out, they appear to be little calcium deposits and havent cause an issue for us. but maybe the bump will bring in someone with more experience

A chicken will generally lay eggs with the same characteristics her entire life. I have one that lays a missile, long and skinny with a little point on the end. I can associate each egg with the chicken that laid it by color shade, shape and other features such as calcium deposits and spots. I even have one that has two tiny meat spots on the yolk every time. Nothing to worry about. You don't see that stuff in grocery store eggs as often because those eggs are sorted to obtain a fairly uniform look. The uniform normal looking eggs go in the egg cartons and the odd-looking ones end up in some kind of egg product where the shell isn't an issue.

UGCM

Last edited:
How old is the hen?

I have the different experiment than the other members.

I have seen such an egg from the same hen since she was 1 year old.
Now she has suffered from internal layers/ egg yolk penitritis and may be something else is going on her now. She will be 3 years old in March.

I don't want you to be panicked... Just for my case.
So, may be keep eye on her not dehydrated or lack of calcium etc.. that she needs.

Last edited:
Our thoughts is spots on eggs like this are sometimes due to stress and/or nutritional deficiencies. We had one hen who was consistently laying thin shelled and bumpy eggs. She ate plenty of oyster shell. I thought that maybe she wasn't digesting or assimilating calcium well enough, so I started to mix some feed with kefir. She gobbled it down with such gusto you'd think I had been starving her. After a few weeks of this, her egg shells started getting stronger and the bumps disappeared. My hunch is that her digestion was weak and the probiotics along with the calcium in the kefir helped strengthen her.

Back
Top Bottom