rough rooster just started crowing and mounting constantly

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rodster, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Hi. i have a pretty nice flock now with 10 birds. (6 of which that hatched here 6 months ago) I just recently found that 2 of them are roosters with one of them GIGANTIC for a Rock/Americana mix. he's mounting one of the hens almost mercillessly and her brand new back feathers are already being shredded. terrible teens i guess... my question now is what i should do about it? i already have an established miniature old english rooster that is quite gentle with the hens and has a LOT of personality. Unfortunately he's WAY too small to facillitate mating, however the hens love him. (as do i) The 2 younger roosters, (been all together since they hatched, btw) are not very friendly to me and the smaller one actually pecks at me in the coop at nght. i have built a small, seperate run just for them 2 for now and would get rid of them, except i would also like chicks again this spring. Is there an age where they will mellow out? are there any tips for the small hen that gets it continuiously? She's a smaller Americana and very submissive and also my top layer with HUGE blue eggs. Of the 2 roosters in question, i have yet to see the smaller one mount, but he hasn't yet begun crowing yet. just the 2 top longer tail feathers in the back are giving his gender away so far, and the comb is still growing. Funny considering they hatched at the same time. I'd love a solution where they can all stay together again, but i will enlarge the detention run if need be for long term. Idea's? Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Enlarge the detention run! The submissive hen will remain a target and eventually may sustain damage to her sides from the roosters' toenails. Hens can retain sperm from a rooster for a significant period of time (minimum of 2 weeks) so in the future you can allow conjugal visits to obtain fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by