rough rooster just started crowing and mounting constantly

Rodster

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Hi. i have a pretty nice flock now with 10 birds. (6 of which that hatched here 6 months ago) I just recently found that 2 of them are roosters with one of them GIGANTIC for a Rock/Americana mix. he's mounting one of the hens almost mercillessly and her brand new back feathers are already being shredded. terrible teens i guess... my question now is what i should do about it? i already have an established miniature old english rooster that is quite gentle with the hens and has a LOT of personality. Unfortunately he's WAY too small to facillitate mating, however the hens love him. (as do i) The 2 younger roosters, (been all together since they hatched, btw) are not very friendly to me and the smaller one actually pecks at me in the coop at nght. i have built a small, seperate run just for them 2 for now and would get rid of them, except i would also like chicks again this spring. Is there an age where they will mellow out? are there any tips for the small hen that gets it continuiously? She's a smaller Americana and very submissive and also my top layer with HUGE blue eggs. Of the 2 roosters in question, i have yet to see the smaller one mount, but he hasn't yet begun crowing yet. just the 2 top longer tail feathers in the back are giving his gender away so far, and the comb is still growing. Funny considering they hatched at the same time. I'd love a solution where they can all stay together again, but i will enlarge the detention run if need be for long term. Idea's? Thanks.

Enlarge the detention run! The submissive hen will remain a target and eventually may sustain damage to her sides from the roosters' toenails. Hens can retain sperm from a rooster for a significant period of time (minimum of 2 weeks) so in the future you can allow conjugal visits to obtain fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom